The Book / Movie Carolina Skeletons is based "somewhat" on the true story of
George Stinney, Jr.
In 1944 in Alcolu, South Carolina, a 14 year old boy named George Stinney Junior was sentence to death for murder. Accused of killing two white girls, Betty June Binnicker, age 11, and Mary Emma Thames, age 8,
When the police picked him up, it would be the Last time he's Family sees him alive.
Because of the risk of a lynching, Stinney was kept at a jail 50 miles away in Columbia.
George was coerced into confessing and was rushed unjustly through the system and straight to the electric chair. His trial from jury selection to sentencing only lasted one day and less than two months later, George was put to death. He is the youngest to ever be executed in the United States in the 20th century. There were only 83 days from the time of his arrest to the day of his execution.
Stinney's father, who had helped look for the girls, was fired immediately and ordered to leave his home and the sawmill where he worked. His family was told to leave town prior to the trial to avoid further retribution. An atmosphere of lynch mob hysteria hung over the courthouse. Without family visits, the 14 year old had to endure the trial and his own death alone.
Now I'm not going to go on and on about Innocence or Guilt.
Here's some points to Ponder.
1) This 14 year old was small for his age, he weighed about 90 lbs
2) He was arrested because he was the last to talk to the girls.
3) So Here's a 14 year old boy, with absolutely NO ONE to Help him.
4) it's said the police coerced a confession outta him (yea hard to do on a 14 year old scared kid).
5) He was appointed a Lawyer by the state. He's Lawyer did absolutely Nothing !
a) Did not call any witnesses
b) Did not Question cross examine any of the Prosecuting Witnesses
c) Did Not File an Appeal after the kid was found Guilty.
6) There was no physical evidence it was all circumstantial.
7) the two Girls were not raped, as charged.
8) The entire trial took 2 1/2 Hours, The all white Jury deliberated for a whopping "10 Minutes" and found him guilty and sentenced him to death.
In Just 83 days after, he was executed,
They had to sit the Kid on top of books so he would fit in the electric chair.
11) the Governor refused to give a stay of execution, because he too was lied to on the facts of the case.
10) It's been said that a dying old man gave a deathbed confession on killing these two girls.
I can't find any other info on that. (as in a Name).
So why is this posted in "Current Events" ???
There's a New trial sought for George Stinney by his surviving family members.
(2) Sisters and a Brother (All up there in age late 70's and 80's)
they Want to clear his name. They Finally got THEIR Day in court.
The Judge has not yet made a decision
These Court Proceedings are on video on youtube (both days).
This is Day 1 Part one (there's 3 parts for each of the two days)
Even if the case gets re-tried / new trial, I'm not sure how it will turn out.
Many Court docs are long gone (missing). Many (make that most of the people involved) are dead. The lawyers, witnesses, Judge, Jury Cops, and of course George Stinney Jr..
But the Main Point here is, He did not get a fair trial.
This March 23rd - Marks the 70th anniversary of this crime.
That Left (3) Children Dead.
There's a new Movie in the works on this case called "83 Days" - It's still in pre-production.