So how does everyone do it... (ooh errr)

Feel free to discuss anything non pumpkin related
StuartP
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Having never been in the States for Halloween, I was wondering what the timetable for you guys looks like.

You all seem to have loads of kins to display - do you set these up pre-halloween and have them displayed or do you only set up ON halloween?

How long do you leave the displays on show.

Do you go out and look at other displays or do you stay at home and look _after_ your own display (do they even need looking after or are there no problems with thieves/vandals)

Does everyone leave the displays lit up all night or only for the evening/late evening

I'm sure I have more questions but can't think of them at the mo' so this'll do for now.
Marilyn
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 am

Stuart, you'll get a different answer from each person here I bet!

I set up my outside display the first part of October. I don't have the cool stuff like Liz, I generally put up bales of straw, any big gourds, pumpkins, indian corn, shocks of corn and scarecrows and a pot or two of mums (kinda like a harvest display). I'll leave this harvest display out til Thanksgiving (latter part of November).

The week of Halloween, I start incorporating any scary stuff I have. This is my first year of the foamies, so I'm gonna try to put baggies of sand in them and keep them out the whole week - depends on the wind. And I'll start carving and putting any reals out there. I'll post pix when I get there!

The absolute best place for a display to be seen is in suburbia or in small towns. The kids all go trick or treating and you'll have crowds to look at your display.

I'm out in the sticks (rural USA), so not a lot of traffic and no trick or treaters. I mainly do my display for my own enjoyment, but I'm sure a lot of people will slow down on the highway for a look.

As far as vandalism, yes there can be that. My little neighborhood boys (only 6 and 8 years old) found it great fun last summer to come over and tip over my pots of flowers. I'm really into my summertime flower gardening, so this was a distressing situation. And their parents didn't think it all that bad! I got some motion detectors to cover my patio and this summer didn't have an incident, and oh yeah, the chain link fence we put up between our properties didn't hurt either. Don't get me started on ineffective parenting! So, my motion detectors will be moved to cover my jack-o display.

Lastly, it is rare to see displays as cool as you will find from our members here and from other carving sites. We are a rare breed.
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell... Image
StuartP
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 am

This is interesting already (for me at least) as I was under the impression that most houses had some kind of display. Amzing what TV'll do for you eh!!

@Liz - I've seen some of the pictures of your costume parties. Looks fun but we don't have them here as such. The dressing up is done here during Carnival time more. Halloween is a pain as it is followed by All Saints day which is a public holiday (this is good) but a so called Quiet Public Holiday which means all parties, dance etc. HAVE to stop at midnight. I believe this only applies to Bavaria but am not sure.

@Marilyn - I only have one mum an I don't think she would appreciate being on display in a pot!!!

Motion sensors connected to release mechanisms on Rottweilers chain should do the trick for the next door neighbour kids!!

Do you respective partners/families participate or do they think your a bit strange? (like mine does :grin: )
Marilyn
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:36 am

Stuart, ain't it fun to learn other cultures??

I would LOVE to be in Mexico and South America for their All Souls Day (Nov 1) -- only I think they spread it out over a week or more. Their Day of the Dead celebrations make the US' halloween look positively boring... Maybe our close proximity to Mexico has contributed to our fascination with Halloween? I feel a thesis coming on!!
Marilyn
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:45 am

PS...

Stuart, my family is impressed with my kins (if they only saw what REAL masters can do!). But I tend to get a little obessed and have to dial it back at times. Like when their eyes start to roll and their tongue hangs out... then I can tell they are bored.
Marilyn
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Another thought...

Even though I said something to the effect that carve displays are rare, I meant extreme carves like what I see here.

What you will generally see in the us is that quite a few yards are decorated in some fashion for fall/halloween. Even if people don't carve extreme kins, you'll see lots of kins with traditional triangle eyes, etc.

One thing that has cropped up recently are big, blowup halloween characters. I have a house nearby that has about 5 or 6 of these behemoths blown up in the yard. They are powered by electric fans (I suppose) that keep them inflated.
sjmarsha
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Stuart, I live in a suburb of Houston, Texas, and I'm the only house on my street that has decorated. There is one house on the street behind me that decorates, but doesn't do carvings. It seems lately that most people don't even decorate for christmas anymore. When I was a kid it seemed like almost every house put up lights and decorations, but now only maybe about 40% of them do.
pumpken
Master Carver
Master Carver

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:46 pm

Stuart,

I sometimes put out some pumpkins a few days before Halloween and bring them in every night to aboid vandolism.

I take my pumpkins to my wife's school (she teaches 4th grade) and set them up in her classroom for a day. All the teachers bring their class through to see them. I stuck around last year and carved a few while kids were coming through. This is usually in the week before Halloween.

The Friday before Halloween I set them up where I work (City Hall) so the public can come through and see them.

On Halloween night, I set them up in my yard and just hang around and talk to the parents of trick-or-treaters.

The day after Halloween, I fill the garbage can with pumpkins. That is why I am now carving the more elaborate patterns on foam pumpkins.

I don't dress up (although I did make a paper mache pumpkin head a few years ago and wore it for a couple years) and we just have a few decorations around the house. My Halloween celebration is strictly pumpkins.
StuartP
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 pm

@sj - Houston is one of the few places I have been to in USA. And that more than once but never at halloween.

@Ken - not surprising your halloween is just about pumpkins. You do so many great carves each year that it nearly has to be!!
StuartP
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 am

That would be cool - I look forward to seeing them.