Workshop drink vessels: SIGG Hot & Cold "one"

Discuss anything and everything about Halloween.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Whats your favourite & why?

I swear i'm not spamming, fact is I take my hydration very seriously (sigg is a well used brand in our house & i'm damn impressed by their attention to detail & durability)*

However I'm also aware that Sigg have taken a hammering in the past (stateside) due to hype surrounding BPA, of which i'm not here to argue a toss for (just request that if it is a concern do some research beyond a mere brand, as BPA is found in a lot of modern life that you want to be aware of & therefore lifestyle adjustment.

If like me you disappear to your work area, spend "stupid" amounts of hours disconnected from all but the project you are working on (pumpkin or otherwise) cold coffee, tea or liquid of choice drained, too dumb to take a flask in your rush (that's me folks) or that last cup "cold & forgotten" ..or too messy / gooey / dusty to unscrew the lid of a flask etc then I recommend for consideration (if browsing for a multi modal vessel) a Stainless steel & PP Sigg Hot & Cold "one" into consideration.

As a meddler in product design in my past I do get to critique products that brands send me from time to time, I don't blog or "dance for freebies" they offer I critique.

Which is how this variant of Sigg got into my hands.

I haven't poured a hot drink into a cold sigg (yet) instead choosing to be "correct" & pre-warm / pre-chill accordingly.

Being a Brit (dammit) I am a tea addict.

But if i'm going to take a selection of snacks & liquids along for a session this is on my list.

It does take falls well (so far) being stainless steel, yet stable due to the anti-slip silicone base / anti-scorch pad.

If I've overstretched & am plastered in"filth" it is truly one handed to lock / unlock open & close to quaff from.

pre-prepped will stay hot for around 9 hours, giving you plenty of versatility to stop start, swig or leave till finished & you remember to chug!

Cold around 12 hours if pre-prepped.

The only complaint I've heard so far on the not 100% reliable internet is that it keeps drinks "too hot" ...ah well!

I've got to assess & pass comment on this to Sigg Switzerland (there are worse things to be doing) :!con_p_wink: which is typically a big old bag of bullet points & questions, but so far i'm all smiles with regards to how I anticipate this will fare based on short term use.

As someone who has a slightly "slow" carving arm as a result of brain injury this Sigg is working beautifully which makes for good potential when crammed on a train, driving ..on a ski lift with poles, backpack & not much time to spare in the real world.

One of my worst offenders I've owned in the past is a similar sized "Lifeventure" insulated container, ..you know you have a bad item when the parent company doesn't even know what the insulation material is in a non vacuum container! ..nor how to rid it of smell taint, yet that one is perceived as a good unit! ..oh my!

So seeing as this scenario is doubtless familiar to a few present here, how do you get by? which brands or techniques can you recommend to max out on your carving "state of mind" when under pressure / not wanting to break concentration whilst "gasping" for hydration to get you over the hump / through the night?

* 17 - 20 drink bottles of the brand on the go at home, a few "emergency" new bottles on standby for gifting. a lot of the lids are capable of being swapped over (even on the widemouth variant) lots of versatility as we do other stuff, saves searching for compatible threaded lids n tops :!con_p_wink: ..3 of us go out 5+ bottles travel with us.

I like its potential for on mountain too, as if I can grip it in one hand I can unlock & open it with either my thumb or a single finger digit, which means some potential comfort if incapacitated & left alone whilst a buddy go's to seek help.

But doubtless, ultimately means I can keep it slime free & useable when deep in pumpkin guts.
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:44 pm

As far as vacuum bottles go I use my trusty old Thermos.

Non-vacuum? Anything I have kicking around the house as they are all the same efficiency wise.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:20 pm

We own a few thermos brand vacuum seal s/steel food containers which are pretty useful, & one plastic kids one that is not, & one 1.8 litre Thermos flask in use, the lid design makes me cross every time I use it ((daily)).

But I refuse to buy 95% of "Thermos" Brand kit for 2 reasons.

1, "what warranty"!? ..naff service, a claim that all items are warranteed yet try to register & they have no process, which is stupid, till receipts tend to be thermal paper ...which lasts how long exactly in legible form!? ....SCAM!!!

2, having played around with many of their range over the years, lack of quality, sharp edges, poorly designed lids, lack of durabiity, crap silicone ring placement ..for a once capable heritage brand they are now just chinese junk in the main with very low levels of Q.C. & little support from after sales in the uk despite rules & regs.

So I vote with my feet, Sigg spares are ALWAYS available, & if I've had problems I've had items shipped gratis to replace, lots of interchangability (thus versatility)... take a look in your kitchen cupboard, the one where you keep all the various sizes of plastic boxes & lids ...it can be a nightmare :!con_p_cryiing:

We also have a couple of decent size Bento boxes from "Aladdin" (excellent except for the screen print quality) ..& again decent after sales support, big enough to fit a man size curry & rice / large plate of pasta within & hot for a good while.

When you are in a spot of trouble with a product is when you find out whether that product is worth the price paid, more or less on balance of assistance offered.

#Hates Junk product! (can you tell)!?

The kid that used to work in service department, fix & virtually fellate customers :!con_p_Laugh2: &register their warranty's for them when they'd forgotten ...used to win me numerous industry awards, (not the fellating bit) :!con_p_Laugh:
Doh
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:06 pm

used to win me numerous industry awards, (not the fellating bit) :!con_p_Laugh:

You are far too modest. I'm certain you won plenty of fellating awards ;)

My thermos was made sometime in the 1970's....good old made in the USA.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."