I'm modding 5050SMD LED Strips for pumpkin lights

Discuss anything and everything about Halloween.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Seeing as they come in 5 metre rolls of RGB & assorted singular colours which can be cut & stitched as needed, I'm going to play with mounting devices compared to the gently looped into a hole strip (likely easiest option then pegged & balanced on the rear exterior of the pumpkin.

ok it tends to rely on low voltage mains supply, but they also come in usb connective strips, for power hubs etc, fed by mains, so several of cheap options.

2 options for these strips, naturally you want to pick waterproof against the moist nature of either weather or genuine pumpkin innards.

Seeing as i'm such a cheap ass, i'm waiting for the arrival of mine but tbh I do get tired of the bulk battery buy & swap over involved, & thought a simple slide on covering strip would be simple to block out unwanted lights whilst maintaining flexibility, essentially a small nic in a pumpkin would allow you to slide a loop or end of smd's through to adjust the overall brightness. ..IP for pumpkin light decorative format to ole Gus naturally :!con_p_wink:
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:09 am

Received today.

1x 5metre roll of self adhesive waterproof 5050 smd led's with powerpack, remote etc..
the upshot being..

I think Stoney & Doh ought to get the soldering irons out & play with these where shaded pattern foam pumpkins are concerned.

You can cut & snip every 3 led;s if need be, (plenty of you tube videos on it) so if you want a certain area to pop in contrast to another area the ability to do that is there. being as these are so light some bendy wire (hanger wire) bound & angled would get some interesting results.

I'll wait till night-time but even during the day in the kitchen with a funkin cut out pattern it lit in a very pronounced manner, ..i'm still of the opinion (untested that if you are going for rows of kins in a standard format a small slit at the back & poke through a band / cord of these will produce some very nice results, cables & connectors being very cheap for this & more compact & energy efficient (not that i've measured transformer losses, but you get the gist) to pack & store.

As it is a 5 metre spool (arriving as standard) it's smaller than a corelle side dish & about 13mm wide on the spool.

So whilst I understand the desire for even illumination this might benefit by highlighting areas in a fairly precise manner, ...or you can shove 10 leds worth of spool in pinned to a polystyrene craft shop ball etc.

for instance you could create a simple division with a thin craft paper& illuminate the outer edges & back of the kin in one colour whilst drawing out the main features within the pattern.

right now I don't think I have a small enough tip for my solder station, ...however bearing in mind the different colours of leds you can get in reels snip & connect, / chop & change... with a bit of messing around bob might well & truly be your uncle.

I like the idea of a soft but solid type material you can score a track into & lay this into, whether as on strip or multi coloured segments, ..this approach would also likely be a good basis from which to throw a rear colour & a front colour from with a shade set in place to minimise colour bleed.

Obviously you guys have stupid amounts of shaded kins kicking around so ...please indulge me & lets see what happens.

Don't stand still, unless you're a pumpkin :!con_p_wink:
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:44 am

A bit time consuming but would deliver an incredible result if done right. I just happen to have a 5 meter roll myself and all the tools to do it. I might just give it a go on my most elaborate carve this year.

I will need to head over to youtube to see what is the preferred method of cutting and re-soldering.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:46 am

Nice one Doh.

Yes time consuming in the initial but I think if you have a bunch of the connectors (cop out) for trying different lengths compared to solder / unsolder, it's the way forward to find colour balance before settling on what works, fast fixing gotta be the way to go.

I don't know how effective polystyrene craft balls would be with heat, but obviousy simple to score & create a track with in which to embed a run to start things off with, I envisage the click connecters at a pre set spacing initially to drop in different colours, i'm ordering a few contrasting ones, just remember to match em, there are different units out there.

The set I got today came with a good size power pack for upscaling beyond one ball, (5 Amps to play with).

However to start with i'd make a little "dark sleeve" you can slide along to obscure an led or 3 at will, ..like a moving belt loop would be to a belt (poor description admittedly) ..break out the loo roll cardboard cores.

Another option might be to use a white strip of leds use the moveable oscuring method but simply have colour coverings to diffuse the light (like a theatre stage lighting gel) ..likely as tricky as lots of cut & reconnect, but "R&D" ..I was thinking of silicone fit bit strap holders for their qualities & cuting clean holes . perhaps use a coloured acrylic gel to focus light (craft beads for instance).

No, I haven't thought about this much :!con_p_Laugh2:

Another option, hollow ball, apply as before with wired clip connectors, group cables to run through centre of ball, couple cables, ..would allow for messy soldering technique.

However I would start with 2 colours & an even split so you can put a colour blocking ring of saturn around the centre of the ball & play with he resulting split focus.

even try a floppy rim for the shading piece (bend it) ...green garden wire folded over to peg it into the poly ball would likely work nicely. ..or bent hair grips with the soft ends removed, ...early days all theory.