Buying a printer

Give Tips or Ask Questions on Photographing , Displaying, Lighting etc..
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Tue May 02, 2017 3:51 am

Hello,
I was wondering what's a good printer to print out patterns and to make windowkins that won't break the bank, lol! I don't need the 3 in 1 just the printer. So I was wondering what brand and model number most of you use that's good and that will last.

Thank you,
Ursula :Smiling:

St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 am

I do use a 3 in one, You may not need a scanner or copier now, but one day you will - LOL

I have the Epson WorkForce WF-7620 - it has 2 trays, and they are adjustable to 11" x 17" paper.

So for Tray one I have standard size copy paper, Tray two the 11 x 17 for printing most patterns...
You can also feed sheets in the back, I use that for the sticker paper.

Cost about $150.00

91QbVK3e3GL._SL1500_.jpg
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !

ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:56 am

Awesome Stoney! Thank you so much for the great info. I'll look into that!

GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:49 pm

My dad crapped his pants the other day.
He read this thread & looked in store at john lewis where a big A3 epson printer was £300 in the sale. :Thumbs_Down:

Izzy

ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 pm

I noticed at Staples with $100 off it was $200. I might have to look at another model. They've gone way up in price unfortunately.

Cirrus
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi, Ursula - I used to work in the printer industry and when comparing costs, be sure to consider the cost of the replacement cartridges and the number of sheets that can be printed by a full cartridge (usually black or all colors). Having been on the manufacturing side, often times the cost of the machine seems reasonable, but the recurring cost of replacing the cartridges can be really expensive. We are shopping for a new printer too (for the 11x17 feature and AirPrint), and so far Brother and Canon seem to be in the running. HP (ahem...) and others can be costly on the supplies. JMHO. Good luck shopping.
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins

ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 am

Thank you Cirrus, can you let me know which one is best for printing out patterns for pumpkins and windowkins? I would really appreciate it. I don't want to spend too much. I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!

Ursula

Cirrus
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 am

We're still shopping, but I'll let you know what we decide. I totally trust Stoney's recommendations so we are looking at the unit he recommended. I worked for HP (and my husband for Epson) and we try to be loyal, but the toner cartridges are repeat purchases. I guess we're a bit anal about it, but we try to compute the cost-effectiveness of the supplies and consider that cost in our decisions. It all depends on your specific needs and usage. I will post an update on which one we get.

Also I can't speak to WindowKins cuz I've never tried them, but a while back I went with Stoney's recommendation on a cheap ($20) software program to enlarge my patterns to cover more area on the pumpkin (easier to carve big than small, :^) and the proportion of the finished carve looks better on the pumpkin). It prints on standard size paper, but will also print large posters on multiple sheets that you can tape together. Poster Printer (ProPoster) by Ronyasoft. The trial version is a free download.

http://www.ronyasoft.com/products/proposter/
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins

St0ney

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Yea, I just checked a few Sites, looks like this Printer Doubled in Cost... :Depressed:

I got mine @ Best Buy two years ago for $150 (I may have caught a deal) don't remember...

Cirrus is 100% Correct - the Ink Cartridges can cost an Arm and a Leg.

Here's Three Recommendations on the ink cost Issue.

#1 if Buying a Color inkjet Printer (which most are these days).
Make sure Each Color has it's Own ink Cartridge, this way if a color runs out you just replace that Color...

If you buy one that has a Black Cartridge and a Multicolored Cartridge, then if say Yellow runs out, you have to replace the entire Color Cartridge (instead of Just Yellow).

#2 I buy Generic ink Cartridge's on Ebay. I NEVER BUY Epson Brand... I get like 8 Full Sets of Cartridge's for the Price of One Epson Cartridge .I've been doing this for years, and Never had Issues with the Printer, or how it prints. Example: Ebay Link For me I would buy 2 Sets, for $40 Bucks... (I print a LOT) !

One XL Genuine Epson Black is like $40 bucks in Stores

For the $40 I would spend above, I would get
(8) XL Black
(4) Yellow
(4) Magenta
(4) Cyan

#3 What I also like about this Epson Printer - is there is a Double Sized Slot for the Black Cartridge so you Can Use a X-Large Black Cartridge, to Last a Very Long time, when Printing Black and Gray Patterns...

s-l500.jpg

St0ney

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Cirrus wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 am

Also I can't speak to WindowKins cuz I've never tried them, but a while back I went with Stoney's recommendation on a cheap ($20) software program to enlarge my patterns to cover more area on the pumpkin (easier to carve big than small, :^) and the proportion of the finished carve looks better on the pumpkin). It prints on standard size paper, but will also print large posters on multiple sheets that you can tape together. Poster Printer (ProPoster) by Ronyasoft. The trial version is a free download.

http://www.ronyasoft.com/products/proposter/
Four things on this - LMAO ! :Laughing:

#1 The Program has had a name change (It's now called) Poster Printer.
The Link above still works though.

#2 I use Poster Printer for every Pattern I print out, and most are printed on 11x17 paper, So I don't have to piece them together for a pumpkin. And for WindowKins, still on 11x17 makes less sheets to put it together....

#3 I rate Poster Printer as much a Tool as my Dremel - for Carving !!
It makes the printing and sizing patterns so much easier !

#4 if you Do decide to Buy Poster Printer - Use the Code "STONEYKINS" During Check out, and it will knock off $5 Bucks.... Making the Price $14.96 (I just tested the Code and it still works)...

• Information