Drill Bits

Give Tips or Ask Questions on Photographing , Displaying, Lighting etc..
werehawk
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I know I always seem to be searching for the "perfect" drill bit for carving with my Dremel. I know the go to is a 1/32 inch bit. I like that size but hate how often I break them, and shaft/shank size is not the easiest to load in the chuck. I've ordered pinvise bits ( even smaller in diameter) I like the fine lines they can carve but same problems and sometimes they can be to short to carve a foam pumpkin.
I saw these on an electronics supply web site.
drillbits1.jpg
They are designed for a drill press to drill holes in PCB boards ( computer boards ) I thought I would give them a try ( the price was $10 for the set ).
The good: shaft/shank is easy to load in the chuck. The shaft being larger disipates (sp?) heat well didn't break one while using it.
The bad: the actual bit is only 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length. The actual pumpkin I tried to carve was several years old and the foam was too thick to be cut all the way through by those short bits.
I remember seeing something on here once upon a time about Stoney potentially wanting to work with some company about making bits for carving. Just putting this up to add ideas to that discussion.

Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I use these all the time. Harbor Freight has them.

Con of all cons: They break if you breath on them. Very brittle.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."

St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 am

I go through shit loads of Bits... I carve fast, and have the dremel at full speed...

Those two things will easily snap a bit.. - But if I loose say 3 or 4 bits on a carve, it's still worth it to me...
If I'm charging $80 to $150 for a carved pumpkin - losing a few bucks on broken bits, don't make a difference....

I too have used the bits you posted, and the smaller ones will still break...
The Harbor Freight ones, as Doh said break real Easy....

If you can Except the fact that Bits will and Do break, Find CHEAPER Bits...

instead of Searching for 1/32" Bits Look for "No 66 HSS Twist Drill Bits" These are about the same size as 1/32"
And you can get them for like 20 cents each... (if you buy a few Dozen) .. :00:
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !

• Information