Using glue for transferring pattern on real pumpkin?

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
PityDaFoo
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:57 am

From what I've read, using transfer paper to transfer the pattern onto the real pumpkin is the preferred method. Has anyone tried using glue to transfer the pattern (as preferred for foam pumpkins) on a real pumpkin?

I would think that there would be problems with the moisture coming from the real pumpkin messing up the rest of the glued pattern, but I wanted to ask the forum to make certain.

Many thanks for any info or guidance.
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I never used Glue on a Real Kin,
But Full Sheet Sticker Paper Works Well..

You Would need to X-acto out the Shaved Shapes, and remove the paper in that shape (if a Shaded Pattern)..

Cut Shapes - You Can carve right through the Pattern...
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Community - Facebook Group
Cirrus
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm

I use Elmer's school glue for both real and foam 'kins. On the real ones, yes, they can ooze into the paper and soften it up. If it becomes a problem with a juicy pumpkin, I just take a break, and gently zap it with the hair dryer to dry it out, then carry on.

To expand on that - I usually do the gluing a couple days before I carve so that it's completely dry when I am ready to start. I also tend to be a little compulsive and score my lines with an exacto before I start carving. On a real pumpkin I do it the day before I plan to carve, so that the paper dries out. I just score the skin on a real, so it's fine to sit overnight.
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins
PityDaFoo
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 am

Many thanks for the info! Just don't want to waste a good kin and a few hours!