Carving time.

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Haha! You're absolutely right...even if I mess it up, I'd already chalked it up as a no-go. Might as well try! <rolls up sleeves and pours a cup of coffee> Thank you for the encouragement; I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me. You all sharing your experience & passion and letting me tag along bring me such joy. :girl_in_love:
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, I got to try the kick-out-of-frustration technique! Alas, since I'd let her sit for too long she was ALL sorts of moldy and couldn't be salvaged. BOOTED her right into the compost pile. I got another kin and blew the same pattern up a skosh bigger and went to town again last night. Put on headphones so I wouldn't be distracted. Since I use sticker paper (waiting on my Saral delivery, should be here on Thursday), I do the Doh method of Xacto tracing first.
bali_demon_mock__16627.png
ALMOST 4 HOURS LATER, I had all the pieces traced. TRACED. :hysteric: :sign_94:
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:49 pm

4 hours!

I'm sorry....I don't mean to mislead.

I should put a disclaimer on my xacto.

"Doh is uber fast at this...your results may vary."

I'm pretty sure my xacto prowess came from my model making days as a lad.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:29 pm

:!con_p_Laugh2: Nono, you're fine! I don't do any art, I'm more of a math brained person, so patterns & stencils are the only thing I can do to end up with something "artistic". Without doing other art I try to stick to the patterns exactly - it's probably this that makes it take so damn long. I wonder if I switch to transfer paper if that would be faster. Either way I'm tracing ALL the lines, one's with a pen and one's with a knife. :unknown:
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Looney wrote:I draw the pattern on, shave the shaded areas, cut out what needs to be cut, period.
I do not need to x-acto because the blades run crisp thru the carve, and that is a time consuming task (BUT nothing beats it either).
Saral is great EVEN for what I would call "cry-baby" pumpkins (leaky wet ones) AND if I do get tired or something comes up, I can toss it in the fridge with out worry.
I fridged the pumpkin for the night and am going to start the actual work today. Rereading your last post - you do the shades *before* the cutouts...correct? I think I'm going to try that method on this guy. Doing the cutouts first (especially with my slowness) has led me to some dangerous shading where the pumpkin is too floppy and it makes me nervous. Blowing up a bop-it balloon inside helps but I'm thinking the shade first, cut second makes more sense.
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

xacto-ing takes me forever too, helenkate. Tracing with a pen does go faster, at least for me, because I don't have to keep stopping to turn/adjust the knife.
Christie
Doh
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:39 pm

helenkate wrote:I don't do any art, I'm more of a math brained person, so patterns & stencils are the only thing I can do to end up with something "artistic". Without doing other art I try to stick to the patterns exactly

I am the most unartistic person on the planet. I would screw up a stick figure.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
Gretchy

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:43 pm

I am the most unartistic person on the planet. I would screw up a stick figure.

DITTO
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58 am

helenkate wrote:I fridged the pumpkin for the night and am going to start the actual work today. Rereading your last post - you do the shades *before* the cutouts...correct? I think I'm going to try that method on this guy.
Aaaand fail.
I did the outlining on Tuesday and then put the kin in the fridge.
Took her out of the fridge Wednesday morning and did the shading and she was weeping the whole time, the whole kin was damp so I set it in front of a fan after I shaded.
After dinner I came back to clean up the shaded parts and make sure the inside was thinned enough and it looked ok, but I was exhausted and frustrated so I thought "I'll do the cutouts tomorrow before work and be done!" I did not put the kin in the fridge Wednesday night.
Woke up Thursday AM to some mold but thought, eh, it's fine and wiped it out. Did some cutouts, then the work bell clanged.
Back to the kin after work and SPLOOSH. Blow outs at the bottom, giant fuzz pile of mold on the inside and I gave myself permission to give up on this one again.
1926685_10204865799387360_5473968138141641102_n.jpg
One day I will finish this pattern. Today is not that day. :sign_7:
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:55 pm

:drinks: Cheers to that! I try to tell myself it's the journey and this is all good practice. Also a solid lesson that at my current skill level, this is not the best method for me. I know what doesn't work for me now (pre-gut, then sticker paper + intricate carve = no go). This is why I was worried about my carving time - I'm not trying to get down to a 30 minute carve, I just didn't want to take three whole days to do ONE pumpkin 'cause I end up with mold.

My white Saral was just delivered and I'm going to do the Last Unicorn this weekend. The Unicorn's less detailed so I feel like I could probably rock her out in just a day...I'd be stoked on less than 10 hours.

I also think WAY too much about things and it paralyzes me from taking action...any action. Stupid brain. I'm the fox in Aesop's story of The Fox and The Cat :
"In the basic story a cat and a fox discuss how many tricks and dodges they have. The fox boasts that he has many; the cat confesses to having only one. When hunters arrive with their dogs, the cat quickly climbs a tree, but the fox is caught by the hounds." He ends up caught because he can't decide which escape method to use.
I get stuck reading forum posts and searching for YouTube videos instead of just trying it myself and learning from experience. All the computer learning & book smarts really are no match for just getting my hands dirty. Time for more cat, less fox.