New realkin shading video...

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 am

.....complete with my big fat head in HD!

Please ignore me talking babytalk to my new puppy Zeva.

I made this video to better show how I use my dremel and drill bit to establish depth of shade.

I like to fully shade cut out patterns as it makes them last for a very long time.

*EDIT! I will be back next year with a proper video that shows me carving a pattern from St0ney or Ryan.

I do not want to support pattern sites that hurt others by giving out free or crap patterns.

Sorry for the deletion guys.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
Doh

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 am

Bonus points to the one who figures out what the tool with the black handle and duct tape used to be before I re-purposed it into an awesome shading tool.
Doh

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:05 am

And before St0ney give me the business about my head I will just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-OCjvbV2Z4
pumpkinnut
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:37 am

Nice video Doh. I have been doing that for over ten years and it works really good. I even do the shaded patterns the same way. I just remove the skin and the the cut out parts I will cut deeper maybe a 1/2 inch or 3/4 depends on the pumpkin. I have had pumpkins last 3 weeks.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 am

I'm putting the trainer wheels on a pumpkin for extra balance as we speak Doh :!con_p_wink:

Woke up this morning with god awful gut pain, (not ideal for Halloween) ..so will deal with this hiccup carve a few for the front of the house (yet to do) & then crack on with something diddy.

This is the first halloween in a good few years where i've decided not to give up booze till after lent, I figure I may need a few beers to mull over & relax rather than "Hulk smash" when things go awry.

(yup, when folk are revving up for xmas excess Gus sticks a lid on it, I used to be a BIG drinker, but it needed taking down & locking up, helps that I don't do xmas) :!con_p_Laugh2:
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 am

Thank you DOH for a shading video on a real pumpkin complete with inspiring music and your head! If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pages. One thing I noticed immediately is how short you adjust your cutting bit (1/32 I assume). By doing so, you get a uniform depth all the time. Things like this seem pretty obvious in retrospect but for some reason it didn't occur to me until I saw your epic movie.

I haven't checked thoroughly yet but i would LOVE to see a shading video on a foam version from you or one of the other expert carvers that make up the Stoneykins family. I have this compelling need to constantly improve and a video of a foam creation would be a highlight on my bucket list. If a video exists, please point me to it but if not, I think a similar video for foam would help all of us that aspire to be exceptional carvers.

To you and St0ney and all the other amazing artists that make up this website, THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and promoting the artistry of pumpkin carving and beyond!
Doh

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:09 pm

Search my 2015 carve thread....there is a link to my eddie foam carve playlist. Hours of yawn but all if my technique
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:29 pm

Doh, I am truly speechless which is rarely the case!

I have begun the playlist and it is EXACTLY what I was hoping it was. While many of us have the basics down, it's the little nuances like using the butt of the x-acto knife to smooth out wrinkles or using tweezers to remove the smallest bits of paper (I was using the point of the x-acto which sometimes created undesired nicks on the flesh.

One more favor: Can you post the Book of souls Eddie xacto for cut through part 1 somewhere? It appears YouTube removed the entire video and I'm sure I'll find some more treasures in that video. :!con_p_Eek:

We have been racing to host our 2-day Pumpkin Glow event here in Jericho, Vermont (25th year) and presently my body aches all over from the preparation and near freezing temperatures last night. But now I am highly motivated to start a challenging carve thanks to your video and St0ney's amazing patterns. You guys rock!!!!
Doh

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:43 pm

What country are you in Gorobman?

The video is blocked in some countries because I had the radio playing.....lame.
Doh

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 pm

I removed the offending Bob Segar song so as soon as youtube gets the edit done it should work.