flex shaft necessary?

Post Questions or Tips on Carving FOAM Pumpkins
LadyMage
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Hey guys,

Had it recommended to me on halloween forum that I come here if I want to master carving foam pumpkins, so here I am. I've been decorating for halloween for almost 20 years now, each year escalating from the last even on a tiny budget.

The hubs got me a dremel for use with my half a hundred other holiday and cosplay projects that I've been itching to get into as an early Christmas gift, and a large case of Mastercraft rotary tool accessories for our anniversary (which should surprise no one is halloween) much to the amusement of his co-workers who clearly don't know me that well. I have one foam kin that I got from Walmart last year on clearance - no idea how good a quality it is, but for the price I was willing to chance it. The budget is really thin just now, and while I might be able to get a couple of kins from Micheals, OR get a flex shaft before Halloween.

So how necessary is the flex shaft? Am I going to be able to carve without it? I'm pretty sure I have every other recommended bit - harder to tell because they're not official so not numbered the same, but it's a huge huge kit he got me. The dremel came with the engraver's grip, so I think that will help, but if it's going to be required, I'll hold off and get the flex shaft when I have more money and put off the foamkin carving until next year. Even if I have to stick to simpler patterns I'd rather try it this year without than wait. Carvable pumpkins that don't rot sound awesome to me - nothing says halloween to me more than carved pumpkins.

pumpken
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:31 am

I definitely recommend getting the flex shaft. I think some people carve without it, but you will save yourself a lot of bad pumpkins and show much faster improvement with the flex shaft in my opinion. I also recommend a foot control.

St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Get the Flex Shaft you'll be happy you did...

It's much lighter than the full weight of a dremel, and You'll have more control, because it's like holding a Pen.
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !

• Information