Register    Login    Forum   Forum Rules   Search    FAQ

Board index » CARVING PUMPKINS - GET HELP / GIVE TIPS / POST YOUR CARVING PHOTO'S » Carving FOAM Pumpkins (Q & A)

Post subject: New to carving foam pumpkins
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm 

Apprentice Carver

Apprentice Carver

Hello I would first like to say this forum is really great. I loved carving pumpkins and everything about Halloween. I have been carving real pumpkins for about 15 years now and I would always love doing it I just wanted my work to last for a longer time. That is when I found out about carving foam pumpkins. At first I was against the idea, but now I love it. I can just reuse the same pumpkin over and over and make as many as I want without having to worry about if they will rot. So I was hoping I could get advice from you guys all about carving pumpkins if you do not mind.

I was hoping to get a list of what I am going to need. I want to be a great foam pumpkin carver. But just for me, I plan on keeping these and displaying them over the years. I first went to Home Depot yesterday and I talked to a guy that uses a dremel to carve pumpkins and he said to get the 200 or 3000 model. So with the money I had I got a 200 model Dremel.

First off is this the right one that I need? This dremel came with 15 accessories, is there a list of bits that I must have? How about carving knives? I have read use a hot knife I was thinking about going to Michael's for one of those. I am basically brand new to this and I was just hoping if there was a beginners guide. Thankyou! :!con_p_smile:

Post subject: Re: New to carving foam pumpkins
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:35 pm 

Evil Scientist and Inventor

Evil Scientist and Inventor

Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.
First...you're in the right place!

The 200 model should do what you want it to do.

First stop should be this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2308

There are many other tips and tricks in the various threads...those of us who have been carving foam for years have our own unique methods...just know that you need to decide what works for you!

"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:38 pm 

Supreme Carver

Supreme Carver

Great response Doh.

The best thing to do is look at the treads that have been posted over the years. I know I have posted some stuff about bits, etc., but I am not sure where it is. There are tons of pointers and you just need to pick the ones that work best for you.

If you have searched and still can't find what you are looking for, be sure to ask.

Profile  WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:03 pm 

Apprentice Carver

Apprentice Carver

Thank you for your responses! That thread was actually the one that really got me into the idea of foam pumpkin carving. I was thinking of just following the tips St0ney had there and jsut get the parts he had. When reading other threads it sounds like I need a hot knife for sure. Then I will just have to work as I go and get the bits. Is there a certain bit you use more than others? Are there bits that you do not use as well. I was hoping to stop by Michaels or Walmart today to grab some supplies and maybe a pumpkin or two to start. Is there anything that I must have to start carving today? I also had a question pertaining the elaborate carvings. Do you use sticky paper on those two or are those free hand drawn?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm 

Supreme Carver

Supreme Carver

Here are the bits I use the most.

I get my drill bits from Harbor freight.

I glue the intricate (or simple) patterns onto the pumpkin and carve through the pattern. I always cut out the cutout parts first, then I can gauge how deep I want to shade the shaded parts.

Profile  WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm 

Apprentice Carver

Apprentice Carver

Thank you! Now what sizes are those bits exactly?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:22 pm 

Supreme Carver

Supreme Carver

It has been years since I bought the dremel bits, so I am not sure what size they are. I think you will recognize them if you look at the dremel bit display in the store.

Profile  WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm 

Apprentice Carver

Apprentice Carver

Thank you once again! I am planning on going to Michael's and Lowe's in a few. Here is what I plan on getting:

Engraving cutters:
110, 111, 112, 113

Exacto Knife

Mini Drill Set

High Speed Cutters:
193, 194, 196, 116, 115, 117

Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stones

Diamond Bur Bits

Hot Knife

I think that should be good enough! Now all I will have to do is get the sheets and I can begin carving. I just will have to see what each bit does and be creative as I go! :!con_p_smile:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:07 pm 

Supreme Carver

Supreme Carver

It sounds like you are on the right track. I looks like that should be plenty of bits.

The best thing to do is experiment until you find a bit that works the best for you. There are an infinite combination of bits that carvers use, and I doubt that any two carvers use all the same bits for the same result.

Practice makes perfect.

I sometimes use the piece I cut out of the bottom of the pumpkin to practice on so I don't ruin a perfectly good pumpkin.

Profile  WWW  

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:16 pm 

Apprentice Carver

Apprentice Carver

That sounds great! Now I was wondering what about a wood burner? Would that act the same as a hot knife? I have seen them at Michael's and they are cheaper. I also am thinking of getting a I think its called a dremel shaft, but it basically makes it so you are holding a pen instead of this heavier dremel.

Board index » CARVING PUMPKINS - GET HELP / GIVE TIPS / POST YOUR CARVING PHOTO'S » Carving FOAM Pumpkins (Q & A)