Tip for Getting Patterns off the Pumpkin

Post Questions or Tips on Carving FOAM Pumpkins
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm

If you use the sticker paper for patterns here is a tip on how to get the sticker paper off your kin after you are finished.

I take a blow dryer on a low speed and use that to heat up the edge of the paper where I am pulling it off the pumpkin. The heat doesn't do anything to the paint as long as you keep it moving and the heat loosens up the adhesive of the paper.

This works well on the delicate areas of the patterns to get everything off without any damage
Last edited by dart31 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Eat dessert first, you never know when the world is going to end.
PumpkinDoctor
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Great tip! I'll have to try that one on one of my tiny 6" carves! There are always delicate parts to those when I pull off the paper...

-Doc
0 x
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 am

dart31 wrote:If you use the sticker paper for patterns here is a tip on how to get the sticker paper off your kin after you are finished.

I take a blow driver on a low speed and use that heat up the edge of the paper where I am pulling it off the pumpkin. The heat doesn't do anything to the paint as long as you keep it moving and the heat loosens up the adhesive of the paper.

This works well on the delicate areas of the patterns to get everything off without any damage
I have been really struggling with this year's pumpkins at Michael's so I appreciate this tip. Will try it tonight when I get home!
0 x
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Gorobman,
I have used it on this years Micheal's pumpkins and this tip works great.
By getting the pattern a little warm it stops the paint from popping off the pumpkin, which seems to happen even in the larger areas of this years pumpkins.

Dart
0 x
Eat dessert first, you never know when the world is going to end.
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Yep - This is why I like having a web forum Great Minds think alike. :!con_p_wink:

I know Doh Posted about heating the Sticker paper also, a few weeks back, in the Funkins feedback thread...

I haven't had a reason yet to Use the sticker paper,
But when I do, I will break out the heat Gun.
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
jspahn
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:33 am

awesome! I just had an issue with the sticker paper pulling off the paint on the michaels pumpkin.
Wish i had seen this post before that hapened! I will definitely have t give this a try with the next one.
0 x