Paint Coming Up - with Pattern removal = Fix

Post Questions or Tips on Carving FOAM Pumpkins
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:38 am

For those Wedding Funkins White Kins, I was Afraid of Losing Paint with Pattern removal... :!con_9:

Glue Used : Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
(I really like this glue - It bonds Really Well, and Dries Faster than School Glue)

After I Outlined each shape with the 1/32" Bit - Mind you I only outline shaded shapes
Cut I just go for it, So after out-lining the shaded shapes, I remove that Pattern in the shapes, Don't matter if paint comes up (in that Shape) , your shaving it anyway...

But Don't Touch ANY of the White Pattern/Paper - Leave it ALL on the Kin.... Even the Excess Pattern

Again the Only Pattern you should remove (During Carving) is the shaded shapes, After Outlining them.

Now Instead of soaking the kin for my normal 15 minutes, I let it sit in the water for an Hour.
The water is Always Warm, and I do add some Mild Soap. Hand Soap or Dish Liquid.

After the Hour, the Pattern and glue came right off - LEAVING ALL the PAINT on the KIN.

I want to Test this with the Sticker Paper Also... Just a Longer Soak.

NOTE:

I Also Want to Point Out - it was Doh who came up with Outlining the Patten First for shaded Carving.

Many Years Ago - He promoted the use of an X-acto (for Outlining), That was too time consuming for me, So I went with My BEST FRIEND - MY DREMEL with a 1/32" Bit....

But Even that was Based On Doh's input of Outlining to start with !

Funny How on that Other Forum - There is Memory Loss, of Who came up with the Technique !

Truth is If there Is a Technique that makes Carving, Pattern Transfer, Windowkins All Easier, You can Bet the Bank it came From Doh or Me or another Stoneykins Member!
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 am

:!con_cool:
0 x
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
jspahn
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:29 am

Hey there - was wondering how your experiment with sticker paper went?

I have a funkins from Michaels that I carved for a friend (one of the seattle seahawks patterns on your site), and as I pulled off the sticker paper, the paint came up in a bunch of spots. I am super upset. The carve wasnt that hard so yes I could redo it, but i am still bummed and wondering if I will have to stop using the sticker paper altogether.

And, has anyone figured out a paint fix for those? I tried getting home depot to color match some paint, but it still doesnt seem quiet right.

any advice is appreciated!
-Jen
0 x
St0ney

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:51 am

jspahn wrote:Hey there - was wondering how your experiment with sticker paper went?

I have a funkins from Michaels that I carved for a friend (one of the seattle seahawks patterns on your site), and as I pulled off the sticker paper, the paint came up in a bunch of spots. I am super upset. The carve wasnt that hard so yes I could redo it, but i am still bummed and wondering if I will have to stop using the sticker paper altogether.

And, has anyone figured out a paint fix for those? I tried getting home depot to color match some paint, but it still doesnt seem quiet right.

any advice is appreciated!
-Jen

NOT GOOD - Don't Wet it !! If was a real Pain to Get off a Foam Kin.

I have used it for years on Real Kins with no Issue with Removal...
Foam Kins = NO - Try the Hair Dryer Trick, Doh posted about.
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
klw129
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:24 pm

I used a full sheet label from office depot on one of this years Michael's kin and it stayed stuck in areas. I soaked it, didn't help. I used vegetable oil. It made the sticky spots less sticky and rub off easier. Some paint still came off, but I noticed those spots didn't allow the glow to come through. This carve is only my first pass. It still needs touched up. It's a 5 watt bulb and Iphone pic. The paper was stuck all around the antlers in the open areas. You can see where paint came off in a few spots. Surprisingly the paint held pretty good around all the trees and fur areas. Again, this is this years Michael's kin, black dot only, harder foam.

And if home depot couldn't get the color right, you may want to get a small acrylic paint set and mix yourself. The times I've needed to match the paint weren't fun.
Attachments
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
0 x
jspahn
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 pm

klw129 wrote: And if home depot couldn't get the color right, you may want to get a small acrylic paint set and mix yourself. The times I've needed to match the paint weren't fun.
yeah the matching didnt work out, and we bought some acrylics and still couldnt seem to get it quite right. So I gave up trying to match and painted it in the seahawks colors instead. My friend was still thrilled with it so it all worked out in the end on that one :)
0 x
Bideshi
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 pm

I use the full sheet sticker paper from staples. Always lifts from the pumpkin and no residue. It's a thicker stock so some people might not like the carving through aspect but it does separate nicely.
After removing you do have some minor burred edges to smooth.[attachment=0]image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
0 x
Doh
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:35 am

I use sticker paper on at least 70% of my carves these days.
0 x
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
Bideshi
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Doh ,totally agree! I have taught myself a lot of things and to my chagrin I found you all here. Haha wish I had read these forum years ago! I have been creating my own patterns through photoshop.
Glad you are all here as a sounding board and help :!con_p_smile:
Question too. Is there a retailer for funkins in Canada?
Michaels stiff foam is all I've been able to see. I live in Vancouver,BC.
0 x