Need help with shaded patterns on foam pumpkins

Post Questions or Tips on Carving FOAM Pumpkins
bpastor100
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me out here with some tips with shaded patterns. I've done cut out patterns for many years on foam pumpkins with good success and just finished doing the extreme groot CO pattern on here which came out great! I feel like I'm ready to move on to trying some shaded style patterns to increase the challenge a bit but I'm definitely having some issues. I tried gluing my pattern (Michael Myers 03) to the foam pumpkin but the paper shreads up pretty bad when I try to dremel over the pattern making it nearly impossible to see what's going on and I've ruined 1 pumpkin already attempting this. It seems to work fine in larger areas of the pattern but really gets difficult to see around small tight areas after the paper chews up. I also tried using the transfer paper method but found that the lines get all convoluted and difficult to follow when tracing in the grey shaded areas (similar problem when trying the hole poke method). I've tried reading as many tips on here as I can find on this but I'm still having trouble and don't want to ruin any more foam pumpkins lol. I'm confident that I can do one of these patterns as long as I can find a transfer method that seems to work for me. I don't think the sticker paper method will work well on a detailed pattern such as the one I am attempting either. Thank you so much for any help!
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:50 pm

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to shredding through patterns with bits.

I have always go around it by xactoing out the pattern before hand.

This works with gluing or sticker paper.

It does take more time and it isn't for everyone but if this is what you need to put out a carve to your standards then I suggest you give it a try.

You can slog though all the boringness right here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sDI35yWuPr
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
klw129
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm with Doh on this one. I also knife the area I'm about to shade usually. Peel off that paper and then shade that area. This seems to keep the edges nice and neat also. But it does take longer. In fact, when I saw Doh's video for the first time, I felt so much better about how long it takes me. LOL. I always use the sticky paper. Some patterns, like Stoney's Buck or Wolf pattern, work well using only dremel, it's trees and fur. But more precise patterns, faces, lettering, I have to knife first.
Last edited by klw129 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bpastor100
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:04 am

Thanks guys!! Will be practicing some more with the xacto I guess...I really stink with using it lol It seems like the best way though
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 am

Leftfield answer here: ... take it or leave it, but *maybe* try shading on a real pumpkin first if you haven't already, something simple to transition through & understand the mindset in your own head, ok no dremel but no expensive, furtive & doubtful forays where you question yourself based on lack of familiarity with a product, (an apprentice doesn't start by building a house from scratch right)!?

If I can understand the (any) process better I am more at ease with the resulting technique I employ via familiarity & more confident at every stroke / cut / depth ..i'm transitioning & it's a leap of faith in the uk because of the lack of foamies & cost per individual which holds me back (BIG TIME).
Timmaay8
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm one of the people who don't X-acto. Because I suck at it. I don't have issues with blowouts on my patterns. 1/32" bit. I Elmers white glue my pattern on. My top tip is to only cut in one direction. Even if it means flipping my pumpkin 30 times a minute. When I say one direction. It generally means left to right, with the edge I'm trying to achieve a sharp line on above my bit. If you do a test, drive your bit through an open area of shading. One side will be clean. One side will be slightly blown out. I attached a pic of my current project. Hope that helps a little.
Attachments
IMG_1518.jpg