2 real pumpkins for our local contest

Post Your Pumpkin Carving Photo's Here!
Timmaay
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Following my theme this year of carving patterns that I bought in previous seasons. That is the haunted mansion pattern. Had to modify the pattern just ever so slightly as they have to last 7 days in conditions completely out of my control. They are submitted Tuesday for judging on Wednesday. Then will be on display at an event called Enchanted Beaver Lake here in Central NY from Thursday through Sunday. Although it snowed today, it is warming up this week. Please take a moment and really look at the owl. That was done by my 11 yr old daughter. I'll say that again........11 yrs old. I helped her tape the pattern on with transfer paper. I sprayed it afterwards. And she did everything else. I thought it was funny that this event we donate to every year asks for volunteers to carve at the Nature Center. Age limit is 14. I asked if I could bring her in because it is great to volunteer. No dice. No exceptions. They looked at me dumbfounded and told me that they carve with stencils. I smiled politely and pulled out the old iPhone to show them what we do. I am a proud dad though. We'll see if an 11 year old places in the contest. Then I'll really laugh.
Attachments
Owl.jpg
Haunted Mansion.jpg
0 x
Timmaay
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm curious if I'm really slow. 13 hours. 2 hrs to transfer. Pretty much straight through though. Stopping to eat, shower, etc..... How long would this take you??? I use transfer paperer, speedball, and x-acto knife in tight spots.
0 x
jonwh25
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:13 am

Wow. That Owl is great. Your daughter did a great job.

I love your haunted house too. That one is a tough carve. I did that one a few years ago. 13 hours for that carve... sounds about right if you are doing it all by hand. That's about how long it took me :) So your on par. Looks fantastic.
0 x
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:59 am

Congrats to both of you but especially to your daughter, her owl is divine, ..patience like that required to dedicate herself to pulling this out of the bag in her will go far in the long run!
0 x
Cirrus
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 am

Wow, really nice carves. Your daughter's owl is outstanding. It's so nice to see kids really getting into the spirit of things. Well done.

That haunted house is incredible. I am not too surprised it took you 13 hours. I usually transfer and exacto the day before I carve, and I average about 5 hours on the actual carve. I think the extra time an effort you put into it really shows. Good luck!
0 x
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:52 am

Both Are Excellent Carves !
Your Daughter Did a Bang Up Job !

About Timing - it depends on the carver, and What he/she wants to Acomplish.
(or how much time they are willing to spend) sometimes it has nothing to do with Skill Level.

I will use myself for this example: I would spend about 2 hours tops on the Haunted House.
(it MOST Likely would not Turn out as Good as yours Did). But I don't have 12 hours to kill on a pumpkin.

When I do the Foam pumpkins, my Average is 2 hours carving time.
I know Carvers that spends 7 hours on the same carve. they go Slow, and get Clean results.

I'm working on a Pope Pumpkin for my kids School, the Plan was to carve it yesterday.
I did a 1/2 Hour doing the cut-outs, and Dropped it until I can get back to it.

So Honestly - Don't worry about the amount of time it takes you or others - that has nothing to Do with the Enjoyment of carving.

The only thing, is if it does Take you a good while, make sure you plan accordingly - LOL Can't carve 10 12 hour pumpkins on Halloween Eve.
you'll run out of time on the 2nd one. :!con_p_smile:
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:36 am

Absolutely fantastic work!! It's true, don't worry about the time too much (unless your kin starts rotting while you're carving, you're good!). Precision does take time, and really no one but you will notice the imperfections. Which parts do you feel take you "too" long? We might have some ideas to help. :-)
0 x
pumpken
Master Carver
Master Carver

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 am

WOW!!!
0 x
Timmaay
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback. I was just wondering if I was the only one who hunched over a pumpkin for a ridiculous amount of time. I think it is a touch of OCD that makes me take longer. Hopefully helps me win this contest. Helps with my pumpkin budget. I'd say my Extreme Indian on the foam took me 5 or 6 hours. All done with the 1/32" bit for shade and cut. This one probably took me 4 hrs total with about 60 minutes to gut and transfer the stencil. Mostly speedballed. A little x-acto. I like these sign patterns. I put them on smaller real pumpkins and people ask me if I bought it at target because they think it is plastic. Then I make them touch it. For my halloween display, I always do 2 killer patterns and one simpler one at least. My wife and kids make up the rest. That is all I'll have time for this year.
Attachments
Trick or treat.jpg
0 x
Gretchy

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Gosh, your daughter is truly talented!!!!!!!!!!! My 16 yr old step daughter loves to carve, but she is no where near that level.

As for your haunted house one.... LOVE IT! I have always wanted to do that one and honestly, I haven't because I know it would take me forever. So, no, I don't think you are super slow. If you are, than I am too!
Maybe one day I will have to try it and see how long it takes. I know some people can do way faster than me. So, I actually am glad you posted about this. Now I know I am not alone hehehehe!
0 x
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'