Lady Bugs

Feel free to discuss anything non pumpkin related
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Did you ever have one of those things (in your head, for years) that has just never been answered, Until you decided to look it up ????

I always wondered why people buy Ladybugs for their gardens.
Always Heard they were good for a garden, just never knew why.

So I just searched it, the only reason why I'm posting this:
Is one Funny Line the guy gives in his answer. (Made me Laugh)

They eat aphids.

Balance in nature is very important. Humans are not the only ones that upset/effect the environment by their actions. Ants treat aphids the same way that we treat cattle. They maintain herds of them as a food source. Aphids thrive on eating holes in the stems of vegetables and sucking out the juice. As a result, ants tend to use your nice vegetable garden as their own little aphid ranches.

So... enter the eco friendly poison free alternative for aphid infestations, the ladybug. The lady bugs like aphids as much as rednecks like BBQ and the ants are ill equipped to do anything about it. So... by encouraging ladybugs in your garden you get a significantly reduced aphid population as well as a pleasant little critter to look at from time to time.
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:41 pm

When I was a schoolkid (14) I used to work summer days gang mowing grass on the council, it was on a bonus basis, which I messed up regularly due to giving a damn about the end result & ladybirds, ..used to stop & move every single one of them out of the way, ..on a bad day 40 or so, but typically over 100.

They are small but very valuable, I recommend everyone learns to recognise them in their ugly duckling stage (most of their life looking SO nasty) ..& make overwintering spots for them.

..I still pick em up, as I do spiders, worms, crickets, grasshoppers & put them in a safe place, subsequently i'm damn slow in the messy "live" garden but its chocka-block with wildlife.
0 x
texntesa
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:57 pm

St0ney wrote:The lady bugs like aphids as much as rednecks like BBQ .
HEEEEEYYYYYYY.... :!con_p_Eek: some of us Texans resemble that remark! :!con_p_smile:
0 x
Dogs just make the world a better place... *Sabrina*