Glowing Eyes for Bushes

Share Photo's or Video's of Cool Haunts or Props that you have made, or Seen.
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 pm

I think the C9 blinky bulbs would be a great idea.
Another thought I had that might make it look better than the toilet rolls (other than trying the shipping tubes) would be to try a small box so the eyes are more flat/ straight on.

Dart
Eat dessert first, you never know when the world is going to end.
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Okay I needed Some time away from Carving and Making Patterns.

So I decided to experiment with these BUSH EYES.
Now Like Always, I use what I have on Hand, But I will Recommend Something Better.
And what I will Use when I make them Fo Real !

And I'm Using Doh's Idea - on using ABS Black Plastic Pipe.

Here's all you Will Need:
1. an 11" Piece of ABS Pipe (I only had 1 1/2" in the House)
When I Make these I will Use 3" Pipe

The Reason were using a 11" Long Piece of Pipe, is we Don't want to See the Bulbs.

2. A Roll of Black Duct Tape (this will be used to Cap the Ends.
For 3" Pipe - I will need to buy Actual Pipe Caps, and drill a hole in that for the clip lights.
3. (2) Clip Lights (Because this is NOT Foam)
You WILL need (2) Lights to light each End / EYE.

Okay Lets Get Started, Lets put the Eyes on the Pipe.
But St0ney the Pipe is Black, How am I going to Put the Eyes on to Cut out.

DAAAA - Sticker Paper !!!
Now Use your Dremel to Cut out the Eyes.
I used a 3/32 Drill Bit, You Don't want to go small on Plastic the bit will break.
Our Eye's Are Cut.

Now use the Same Bit, and Put (2) Notches on each end on the Back-Side.
This is for the Wire For the Clip Lights. Also on the Clip Lights Spread the Metal Apart,
So that it's a Tight Fit.

Now Just Cap the Ends with the Black Duct Tape.
(Sorry no Photo - Just tape the Damn thing - LOL)

Plug in and Turn the Lights Out.
Now I used clear Bulbs for the Test,
I will Use Red, Green and Yellow for the Real Deal.

to Get rid of the Burrs, Use a coarse grinding Stone.
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Okay I have been meaning to post an update as well

I worked on the eyes as well trying to figure out a better way to do the eyes as well.
I hit on a little different way than you St0ney.

I used a small wooden box from Michaels, similiar to the attached image.
They are only $1.99 at Micheals and if you have a coupon you can get them for even cheaper.

I used the normal dremel bits to cut out the eyes and the hole saw in the back for the normal clip lights. I spray painted the boxes black and then just set them in the bushes.

I am sure they would look even better with blinking orange c9 bulbs.

I will try to get some pictures up tonight of the boxes and them in action outside.
Attachments
wood box.jpg
Eat dessert first, you never know when the world is going to end.
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Okay so finally here are some pictures of the spooky eye boxes I have made. I used the patterns from St0ney (Thanks!!!!) and the regular cut out dremel bits to cut everything out.

I did find that you have to go very slow when cutting the wood as it will heat up very fast and dull the bits.

Everything to make the boxes is about $3.00 each ($1.99 for the box from Micheal's and $1.00 for the clip light) I had the black spray paint already but that is pretty cheap and would go a long way for a bunch of projects. I tried to keep it cheap incase they walk off on me or if someone wants to buy them (I plan on charging about $10 each haha)

I also have some orange battery powered LED lights that would be good for areas away from an outlet or extension cord.

I do like that St0ney's version should be able to deal with rain very easily while these might swell up with water.

Full Gallery
http://imgur.com/a/TkfvQ

Gretchy

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Both versions are awesome!! Dart, to help with the rain problem... you could buy a can of Krylon Triple Thick Clear coat (or something similar).. might protect them from soaking up water a little better.

And Stoney, thanks for those Spooky Eyes. I am totally going to use some on some Luminaries I am making out of recycled jars. :)
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'
St0ney

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Here's a New Version and All you need to do is Buy It - LOL

These Also have Sound - Price = $16.99

Sprite of Halloween - their Called "Haunted Hedge"

sound-activated

Click Me
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:15 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... L1001_.jpg

Tried to post, did it badly, so hopefully shorter & more succinct 2nd time round.

IMHO this is as cheap as it gets..

these spoke lights are "from" 99 pence delivered in the uk, (typically with a 2032 battery included, (pop the cover off to replace) & offer slow, fast flash or constant.

one side looks like an "iris" so light projects from behind a darker circle (the clicky on /off button)
the other side is a "full" led lit area with a bit of overlap to the rest of the plastic silicone flexi material.

Choose your side to best FX effect & go back to the TP / loo roll origins of the project, plus make your kid safer out of season.

Stick em on staightened out WIRE coat hangers (similar thickness to a spoke) or make use of the side holes to put some dollar store fishing line through to tie unit off into position, then use some more for final location if hanging em.

..Or simply stabilise them inside the TP / Loo roll by use of offcut sections of thermal foam pipe lagging which in turn will assist the overall dark surround from within (+ some light absorption admittedly) ..however I have not tried using the offcut pipe lagging to cut the various eye shapes, but it may also work as to simply slide the finished unit onto a branch via the laggings long singular cut, if it can bear the weight overall, & simply stick some temporary black tape or a zip tie to keep it where you want it.
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:47 am

Lol! I have that Haunted Hedge! It works pretty good, but I would also like to make my own, So thank you everybody for all your great ideas!

And a BIG ThANK YOU, STONEY for those haunted eyes! I printing those out right now!