Did they go too far with this yard display?

Share Photo's or Video's of Cool Haunts or Props that you have made, or Seen.
helenkate
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:06 pm

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/302214 ... ses-a-line

I'm so used to Halloween-y scary things that I wouldn't have thought twice about this, but it's apparently scaring the neighborhood kids!
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 am

To me this is fine, I'd have to remind folk of what they expose their kids to "without proper explanation" every day, & how they are often the product of parental ignorance as a result.

To give it meaning..
I could have raised a "pinkophobic" child who screamed blue murder when anyone wearing pink turned up, would the world have to shift on it's axis to accomodate her then!? :!con_p_Laugh2: ..nah it's my problem to get her over the hump.

Halloween like many aspects of life is expectation & training as to what is acceptable, whipped up by the likes of poor page filler media reportage (here it's called the daily mail, & it's a miserable tail eating snake of a paper / website).

One kids "exposure to life & sensitivities" should not be the rule for the rest to change therefore, ..halloween is meant to be scarey, ...but an inflatable cartoon frankenstein isn't it's parody, ..as is anything these folk stick on their lawns (just a higher class of accuracy)..don't blame me for a person moving their child further & further away from "celebration" till the original meaning is lost on them ...like Christmas ((really HATE that one))

Many parents like visiting us because we do give the children a jolt, I cannot help it if someone raises a prissy child who dresses as a princess & wants the world to bend around her, ...she will get the same treatment (fairs fair) ..unless a parent has a word before hand, if not ...thank god my daughter is not conditioned in that way! ..god help that type of child if they're ever exposed to real trauma #crisiskids.

If a child is afraid, talk them down from it, rationalisation helps a person grow & understand life. ..like a tv programme where a kid is scared (sci-fi, walking dead etc) ..when Izzy was young we rationalised everything by allowing her to understand actors wash off all the fx, remove masks, put ordinary clothes back on, to get home & read their children a goodnight story.. it worked, (I watched every ep of Walking dead before she watched it in case I needed to walk her through something that may fry her brain.. never happened)

Ignorance breeds fear & stupidity, I see a lot of it sadly!

Realistically this isn't any worse than an episode of csi if you think about it "flash exposure" to set the scene, ..which sets the trap & progresses the storyline..

Exactly what a yard scene setting does, or a visit to a fun house / ghost house / theme park.

Just in different doses.

Too scarey!? ..sorry your problem is not my problem, walk on by ..go to another house. (IYKWIM)!?

PS "terrible parents that we are" Izzy has been allowed to swear & express "emotively" since she was a toddler ...as lon as she got it in context! ..as a result she thinks deeply & rarely swears whatsoever ...god we must be abject failures teaching a child to think before she opens her mouth :!con_p_wink: ..call the authorities!

To me though the last lines of the report say it all as to screwed up conceptualization on the part of offended parties...
"Tone it down or take it down, says Anselmo. Her daughter even offered some suggestions of other Halloween displays.

"Like fake plastic skulls or little tiny skeletons or blow up pumpkins." ..& what are those skulls modelled on darling!? ..you ever thought of that!? ..death & decomposition of a sentient being ...think on little one :( #sanitizedliving #dontplayinthedirt
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 am

Halloween Deco, should be Light Scary or Silly Fun, Not Theme Park Horror Stuff.

There are small Children trick or treating, Halloween is FOR THEM !

Want to Do Crazy Horror Stuff, Do it in your house (or Back Yard), and Give a Warning Outside.

I'm not Saying Adults should not enjoy the night....

There's a Guy in my Neighborhood that does this, Parents with small children,
Avoid the entire Street, ....
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
texntesa
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:35 pm

I have to say that while I love the look, as my hubs and I do some outrageous things in our yard, we also invite kids to come touch it, feel it, get up close to it in the day time, so by the time Halloween comes, they aren't terrified. Things THAT close to 'the line' should be thought twice about... JMHO... We have an 8 foot spider we built and out band of baby ghosts... both of which I thought seemed harmless, but really freaked out more adults than kids!
Attachments
1004995_10201854433379973_707363976_n.jpg
1451519_10201854475581028_905257066_n.jpg
1383389_10201854477501076_329005060_n.jpg
Dogs just make the world a better place... *Sabrina*
St0ney

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:38 pm

That's all cool Stuff and Kid Friendly,

When you Put killer clowns out Covered in Blood, with Real looking hacked up body parts.....

maybe your going to far . :!con_p_Laugh2:
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 am

That's not my type of Halloween. For me I like the cartoony cutesie stuff. We have a large air blown Mickey Mouse vampire with two lighted creepy trees. Then we line the yard with my cartoon or famous people or whatever my pumpkin theme I go with that year pumpkin carves! We just make it very light.