Shading Video Desired

Post your own tutorials with photo's and step-by-step instructions of your props,
or Carving Technique, Or Share a Link to a great online tutorial.
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:23 pm

First, I want to say THANK YOU to all the experienced carvers on this site that contribute their blood, sweat and tears to help others learn this amazing craft. While other sites focus on the revenue side, Stoneykins is unique by looking beyond the profit margin and focusing on improving the artistry and the carving community.

With that said, I have a huge favor to ask. In my humble opinion, the biggest challenge us newbies face are learning how to shade a foamie like a pro. Many of us have the tools and have read multiple messages and have devoured the tutorial by St0ney and Doh but we still stumble when it comes to shading.

I realize we are in the midst of the carving season but I still want to ask if any experienced carvers could consider a brief video that shows an intricate shade. It does not need to be the entire sequence of prepping the pumpkin, applying the design, outlining, etc. What I think most of us are really interested in seeing is:

1. What bits do you use for a given design
2. The recommended speed
3. The position you hold the dremel tool
4. How you determine the depth
5. How you get all shaded parts to appear to have the same depth
6. How you repair a breakage

When I look at a carve like Predator or some of the amazing creations featured on this website, I cannot imagine the time, patience and dedication required to create such masterpieces.

A picture is worth a thousand words but a video is worth a thousand messages. Most of you reading this are qualified to create a video. As time permits, I know this community can create an epic video but for right now, it would be huge if someone could spend some time showing us the fundamental steps so that we can learn from the best!
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:56 pm

1. What bits do you use for a given design
2. The recommended speed
3. The position you hold the dremel tool
4. How you determine the depth
5. How you get all shaded parts to appear to have the same depth
6. How you repair a breakage
We all do things just a little different from each other. My way certainly isn't the final say. Do what works for you!

I do not know when I will be able to do a video but here are some answers to your questions.

1. What bits do you use for a given design Common drill bits for cutouts. High speed cutters for initial shading. Diamond burrs and pink grinding stones for final shading.
2. The recommended speed I do not have a recommended speed as I use a variable speed pedal and so my speed varies constantly. Fast when doing easy, large areas and slow on small, intricate parts.
3. The position you hold the dremel tool As 90 degree perpendicular as possible.
4. How you determine the depth My first pass is always the exact depth of the high speed cutter head. Approx. 1/4 inch.
5. How you get all shaded parts to appear to have the same depth Final shading is always done with a light inside the kin and the overhead lights off.
6. How you repair a breakage Superglue and pumpkin dust!
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm not a master carver, but recording a video is on my list of things I want to do (like, sooner than later because Halloween is around the corner!) ... my list is just so.long.

Also I'd like to record it on an online Funkin and I don't have any at the moment.... Hopefully I can get one in my hands within a couple weeks....I'm hoping there's one in the mail on its way to me to replace the one I shipped back to them!
Christie
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 pm

cspeich wrote:I'm hoping there's one in the mail on its way to me to replace the one I shipped back to them!

I emailed them today about this among other things..

3. I will check and verify that Christie gets a replacement Fun-Kin.
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:16 pm

:heart: Thanks, St0ney! I appreciate your follow up!
Christie
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Thank you all for considering a video when time permits!

I also had some other out-of-the-box ideas to help promote the craft:

1. A workshop where some of us could meet and work on various projects while master carvers yelled suggestions/encouragement. Could even have a beginner and advanced class.

2. An annual convention where suppliers could show us the latest and greatest pumpkins, tools, materials... Master carvers could be guest speakers.

Maybe option 1 would be a good place to start. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay for a class to get an opportunity to learn from the best. I know I would!

Imagine a 2-3 day weekend in Vegas or near one of the carver's homes. I would sign up in a second!
Doh
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm

gorobman wrote:Thank you all for considering a video when time permits!

I also had some other out-of-the-box ideas to help promote the craft:

1. A workshop where some of us could meet and work on various projects while master carvers yelled suggestions/encouragement. Could even have a beginner and advanced class.

2. An annual convention where suppliers could show us the latest and greatest pumpkins, tools, materials... Master carvers could be guest speakers.

Maybe option 1 would be a good place to start. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay for a class to get an opportunity to learn from the best. I know I would!

Imagine a 2-3 day weekend in Vegas or near one of the carver's homes. I would sign up in a second!
LOL if you live near northern Utah you are in luck. That's where Pumpken and I call home.
I visit Vegas 4 times a year but only for the soccer. I do not gamble.

If anyone is ever in my neck of the woods I would gladly meet up...but traveling somewhere to carve....not so much. My tools would take a semi to haul.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
St0ney

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:20 pm

I also want to chime in -

I'm in Philly, and Have an open door Policy - if you have Beer !

Okay Joking aside:

gorobman: I think You're over-thinking this.

There are So many GREAT carvers on here, that Learned just by looking at the tutorials, and reading Post, that are loaded, with Helpful tips... and Asking questions.

If you run into a snag, Just Ask, We don't care if it's been asked before or a 1000 times.
My Goal is to Sell Patterns - and Have people be able to carve these patterns.

So Ask away !

Also I've been wanting to do a video for years, but I have a face for RADIO - LMAO !!
Actually - I'm in the same leaky boat, Never enough time..
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
dart31
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:24 pm

gorobman I want to echo what Stoney has said.
I started about 4 years ago when I found this website, but I didn't see or read the forum.
So my first foam pumpkin carve was just me doing what I thought was the right way.

This involved we using only an exacto knife & cutting a grid pattern in the shaded areas and then breaking them off.
My first pattern was the Phineas & Ferb kin Image and ended up taking me a week or so.

The next year I found and read the tutorial on how to carve foam pumpkins and using a dremel I was able to carve more pumpkins faster and easier. I still do things a bit differently then others on here, but that is part of the fun, just figuring out what works best for you and having fun with it.

If you run into snags after following the tutorial or trying a difficult pattern just come back to the forum and make a post with your issue as one of us has probably had the same thing happen :!con_p_Laugh:

Good Carving!
Dart
Eat dessert first, you never know when the world is going to end.
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I get where gorobman is coming from. I've looked for video tutorials myself. Yes the photos and tutorials and asking questions here are a great help. But there is something about actually watching someone and how they do something that can really be helpful. It might be a difference in learning style. I know in my first year or two of carving I really really wanted to see a carver live in front of me to get a feel for the process. (Who am I kidding, I STILL want to. :!con_p_wink: ) And hell, St0ney isn't that far from me...one of these years I'm gonna arrange it to be in the same place he is. (uh...that probably came out more stalkerish than I intended! :!con_p_Laugh2: )
Christie