Pumpkin Gutter

Post about Halloween Products, that you Like or Dis-Like or Want to Buy.
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
0 x
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
St0ney

Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Also I Don't Advise using a Reciprocating Saw (Sawzall) to Cut a pumpkin Lid.

If you Do Please "DO NOT" have someone Hold the Kin, as shown. in the video
A Reciprocating Saw can cut through 1" STEEL Pipe in 4 seconds.

It will go through your fingers, Like a Hot Knife through Butter !

[youtube][/youtube]
0 x
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Wed May 25, 2011 3:57 am

Yes the reciprocating saw use is just stupid, messy & unnecessary for such a simple action.
Are you using exclusively one genus type of kin stoney? ...I tend to wear latex gloves whilst gutting & thinning & simply pull the gutter out, slide any tangled thread up top & carry on, then tear it off . cut it of with a craft knife a I go, never found the gutter at speed getting overly tangled, that would indicate lower rpms surely?
I'd say my drill is only 550-750 watts @240v like your dewalt a black & decker ultimately same skin machine, (although mines around 20yrs old).

I simply don't understand the stringing issue properly as I have not ever encounterd it, higher revs seem to sort all but the worst & what remains isn't bad I can still see the ball as it cuts.

What I will reinforce though is that no-one should simply use a battery drill on this, it's effectiveness is reduced to that of a hand whisk due to the amount of jumping that happens as it skips on the inner surface.
just for the record mines a 14.5v lithium battery Bosch drill, it was a pointless & pathetic attempt & felt it was misleading of the overall capability of the gutter in a corded power drill.

I think you enjoy getting into the zone with your hand tools stoney?? ever been called a Luddite ;) ...it obviously works for you so stick with it, to my minds eye the drill is cumbersome & in the way, has to be packed straight away afterwards as it's a trip hazard, ..but so are my dogs!
0 x
St0ney

Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 am

I don't know, I do think gutting by hand is also part of the carving experience.
You dive in and get a little dirty. it's just a pumpkin, a quick rise with water, and your hands are clean.

It's just Par for the course ;)

I'm one who can't work with latex gloves, I need to feel what I'm doing.
Same reason I don't like condoms - LMAO

Actually beats the price ($11.99) on the Pumpkin Gutters Web Page.
http://www.getcarvingquicker.com/

To Each his Own ;)
0 x
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 am

I'm a sensitive skinned lad Stoney, my skin comes out in big itching wheals..so it makes sense for me, offering that bit of protection to my girlie soft hands..
(years on the farm & never toughened them up, no vaseline gloved hand "fer the ladies" necessary)!

i'll take a video for a review this autumn & see if I've simply got lucky from the offing, or a ninja like talent, because I simply cannot see the problem, perhaps it's strings individual to the specific pumpkin type!?
we'll see.
0 x
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am

I tried the gutter one time.....didn't much care for it. I can gut and thin a kin in no time at all and the gutter just seemed like an extra step. I felt like I needed to thin the walls by hand even after the gutter so for me it's by hand all the way.

But....I have found that what works for me doesn't always work for others, so to each his/her own.

(Doh takes his exacto and scurries under a table.)
0 x
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 am

Funnily enough I resorted to a hand scaper / gut remover the other day whilst gutting 15 kins, however that was to just get the initial gunk out really, as from the position I was gutting on the floor, it involved more work to twist & turn the kin upside down to empty it (& have stuff remain inside).
So I started by hand to remove the initial morass of seeds & string, then thinned walls with the gutter.

What does still puzzle me is all this talk of strings caught round the shaft!

over all the kins (i've ever gutted) stringing has been minimal;, never made me stop, certainly never removed the shaft just slide a bread knife down & get rid of the few there are there.

If you end up with a gutter shaft rammed with string, you are doing it wrong, including the inventor judging by / based on the vids i've seen.

certainly de-stringing only takes 8 seconds or so to remove drill from kins, swipe a blade down the shaft several times & ..back in.

I'll keep it & use it, but am now happier with the combination use rather than exclusive use of the gutter.

I wouldn't be wihout it especially against the clock transferring stencils & gutting same afternoon for a bunch of weenies.. ;)

Stoney, you'll want to remove that link Ryan's quit selling anything in his shop other than warren pro tool, t-shirts & stickers.

Because of the way it's happened it's left some outside of the US & canada rather stuffed for supplies this year.

Lights, hangers, saral. ..core products sadly ..when you don't have pop up stores for halloween or led lights etc you feel it folks!
(luckily I found a cheap source of saral, but that still works out at £14.00 (ish) per roll
, If you ever do the same & drop items give folk a good few months warning to source alternate supplier routes. ;)

I'm extremely glad I save all my saral & stencils taped together with 3m micropore tape (more storeage though) or i'd be in a worse situation than I already am.
Meant I was using 1 piece of saral for as many as I could entrust myself to transfer blind ..typically 6 per piece.
0 x
St0ney

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 pm

No I wouldn't Say Stupid - Just you forgot.

There's many many Folks that get hurt with stuff like this.

is Why guys don't wear ties when they work with Machines.
and why Cops wear Clip on ties, so the CON can't pull their tie and Chock them.

I was not out to BASH this product,

Like I said I bought (2) and had Much better results - doing it by hand.
Truth is ----- I wish it worked !

Just like the sticker paper for shaded Patterns (on REAL Kins)
- I prayed it would work for me. would save so much time.

But it didn't work for me, took to long.
And I jammed my thumb on the 2nd one with a new X-acto Blade
And bleed on the carve. - So no - My opinion on the gutter, is what (I) think of it.
I think it's a Neat Idea, But useless !

And I will Promote to no End - Products that DO Work !
0 x
St0ney

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:40 pm

LMAO !!!

I've Done it in 30 seconds at Linvilla Orchards.

Here's a video in 49 seconds Made the hole too small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCcC1Be35U
0 x