Carving time.

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:16 pm

I don't know if this helps, but I carved this pumpkin on 10/2 and this picture was taken on 10/8. Aside from the missing piece between the T and the R (which happened during carving), it still looks pretty good. No mold or anything either. The only thing I've been doing is soaking it in water during the day.
2014-10-08-19.13.11-web.jpg
Now of course this would be difficult if you haven't finished the carve and still have the pattern. But maybe you could outline (a thin shaving?) all the pattern lines first (and keep a copy of the pattern handy to know what's shaded and what's cut)?

Or maybe you can use St0ney's trick with the matte fixative spray. I don't know if that would keep the saral pattern tranfer from rinsing off in the soak?
Christie
jonwh25
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:44 pm

I've been using using exacto's on all my reals. One of these days, I'll make the leap to foam. My toolset for reals includes several kinds of exactos, a couple of ribbon tools, a set of clay sculpting tools, and some ceramic tools. I really like the curved ceramic tool that has one side curved and the other side a needle. It helps me get into tight places where I need to pull out pieces of kin.

What I like most about using exacto's is because I can make really nice lines and use the sharp point to pull out pieces like nothing. I will usually trace along the lines I need to cut with the exacto, then start another line next to it and angle it so I can then pull the piece out. It makes a little inverted triangle in the line which makes it easy to shade since now you have a good border. That's how I'm using mine.

I'll check into the speedball. Who knows maybe I'll shorten my tool list. :!con_p_smile:
jonwh25
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:52 pm

btw helenkate, I print out my patterns on sticker paper and then just stick it to the kin and start carving. I carve out all the shaded stuff first and leave cut outs until the end. I think those 'stick n carves' that are on Stoney's site look nice. I may buy those next to use instead of the sticker paper. The only downside to the sticker paper is getting the paper off at the end. I hate that part.

I tried the Seral paper / trace thing, but it added to my total time. I like to get right down to carving and thus why I like the sticker paper. I think it's a matter of personal preference though. If you do go the seral route, use blue... it's better ;)