One tough Pumpkin

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
Jugernaut69
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm

We had some odd weather this year. I went to the Patch to pick out my pumpkins and all were considerably smaller in size than years past. The weight was similar as the pumpkins were very thick. It was as if they put all their energy into growing thick rather than big. I am sure this is due to the weather. However, I am working on a medium level pattern and this particular pumpkin is so hard I can barely score it with my Exacto Knife.
Short of chain saws, jack hammers and blasting powder is there something I can do to carve this beast or should I wait until July when it may be carveable and display it at a BBQ? :!con_p_cryiing:
Jugernaut69
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Managed to carve that hard pumpkin. It set me back a lot of hours (I am embarrassed to say how many) and I will not get to carve the Electric Frankenstein this year. Oh well there is next year for 'Ol Frank :!con_p_tease:
Jugernaut69
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah I managed to carve the "cement" kin it took a real long time though.
I cannot say it was one of my better carves. I lost the pattern early on and just used a picture for reference. So free hand, no sleep tired cranky and irritated I finished the pumpkin my daughter (8 years old) wanted me to carve for her this year.
She really liked it and it made the ordeal worth the effort, Too bad I could not get a better shot of it as my good camera did not like the pumpkin, so I had to use the iPad. Maybe I was just too tired to think it out well but I really did have a hard time capturing this one and it looked much better in life than on camera..
Attachments
049_Stoney.JPG
Gretchy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Man!!!! I feel ya! I got 2 of those cement ones this year!!! It was horrible! And they were such pretty Kins, too!! :!con_18: I learned my lesson though... And tested the skin of everyone I bought after those two!!
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'