LIGHTING

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
bflosabres22
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 pm

What do you use for lighting your cut out patterns? Basic traditional candle? LED lights?

Last year I wanted to try different colored LED lights but waited until the last minute and couldn't find them. Did try colored glow sticks I had laying around the house but they weren't bright enough.

Just curious what everyone else uses..LMK. :!con_27:
pumpken
Master Carver
Master Carver

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I put cutout and shaded on c-9 Christmas lights.
Sinead007
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

I use regular old candles. I've experimented with lights before but for me nothing beats the warm glow of a flame. You can get away with a plain candle for a cut-out. Some of my shaded ones have needed a light bulb or more than one candle (in which case I keep the lids rotated so it's not sitting properly, creating gaps between the lid and the pumpkin to allow the heat and such to escape). Downside is the inside of the pumpkin dries out really fast so if you want to display them for more than one night (I only do Halloween so it's not a problem for me), then other forms of lighting are probably your best bet.
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Note: Because you never specified What type of Pumpkin Real or Foam.

If Foam Pumpkin - Only Plug In or Battery Operated.
You will start a fire, and/or ruin the pumpkin.

If Real Pumpkin - Then yes Candles, Plug in or Battery Operated.

For candles - You also can place a vet hole in the back of the lid.

I use plug in lights for ALL including the Real Pumpkins.

But this is Personal Choice... If you use Candles (in real pumpkins) Sprinkle cinnamon on the Lid, When the heat hits it, it will smell like Pumpkin Pie..
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
Cirrus
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 pm

I like the cinnamon idea!

I carve mostly real pumpkins and have pretty good luck with Sylvania "Dot-it" tap lights and similar brands. My display area doesn't lend itself well to electrical cords, so I started using the tap lights because they run on batteries.

Sometimes I need to use more than one, depending on the 'kin and the carve, but they seem to work well on cut-outs and shaded 'kins.

They tend to be a little "blue" in color, so if that's an issue, I just wrap the light in a piece of orange tissue paper or lay it on top of the light and it usually ones down the blue and looks pretty good.
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins
bflosabres22
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 am

Stoney, had never heard of foam, I've only carved regular old pumpkins. They've just gotten a bit better using your patterns the past couple of years. Was more curious about getting different colors, like last year I did the Chesire cat and wanted it to glow purple. I think I'll try the single plug in light. Thanks for the tips, the cinnamon sounds pretty cool too I may have to use a candle in one.
bflosabres22
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks, Looney. Does the extract work with bulbs or candle?