What tipped you from cut out to shaded!? "making the move"

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:34 am

I'm curious as to the art of both, the fun & to some degree a "sometimes" perception that one is way easier than the other "class thing" amongst those who don't know how tight the whole pumpkin carving set of folks are as a "minority" ...there you go, stick that in your passport :!con_p_wink:

In a time of "rush" ..buying storing & completion is for manifold reasons a time limited hobby probably only put into second place by Ice carving (in-house refrigerated meat lockers excluded).

How did those with the demands of life or other seasonal ( 'he / she carves" ) find time, space & cojones to cross over the bridge as it were, how did it affect your "production" line f time etc?

..there is no worse thing than a rushed carve after all, ..it shows.

I've so far stencilled patterns onto 24 pumpkins in my dining room, none of which are for me ..yet! how do you honour your annual commitments yet get time to experiment & improve within such a tight timeframe of "delivery" ..i'm set to think I won't display more than 5 pumpkins for myself this year because of others expectations, pleadings for a showstopper in an otherwise dull street / workplace etc, & tbh when I do fulfil a request for company hq (for example) you know it is going to be seen by more than the hit or miss qty of kids & parents in dubious weather.

I need better time management ...but time to develop & hone shading skills, would appreciate some top tips for out of season shading material so i'm not against the clock.

(I'm lucky I do have some funkins, but they are a rarity in the uk, but are looked down upon when I stage them amongst real kins, ..that's life & cultural differences.
Now if it were a goddamn sweat shop expensive piece of cr@p like an I-phone turn that street opinion on it's head).
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:23 am

For me...I just wanted to see if I could do it. I am far from an artist but I am a beast with my tools.
Time to carve? I haven't turned my Tv on for two weeks now. So I have replaced couch potato with dremel jockey.

Storage...I'm lucky..I have a big house and property.

I don't carve for others as a rule. I do not want to turn my hobby into a job. I carve for Stoney when he is in need and I always carve 2 real pumpkins for my 90+ year old grandma every year.
I do carve a couple for our local pumpkinwalk as well.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Doh, my big thing is for folk I carve to is that if you don't want failure then you (they) don't dictate what I carve for them, ..if you are putting yourself through purgatory then it want's to be of your own volition eh!? rather than doing a pattern you positively cannot work up any love for, ..many times I failed to turn in my english homework on that premise.

Flipside:
So how would you cope if you didn't have much storage space, nor funkins easily available?
what other options / means would you avail yourself of?
Doh
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:45 am

I suppose I would just be doing real pumpkins. Not as many and not as elaborate of carves.
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks again, I just transferred a pattern you know well (the skeletons, See, Hear, Say no evil) at 114% scale but I think it'll be a fail due to teeth positioning, ..gutted, really wanted to practise that specific one. don't know whether to carve to that point & "lump it" or wipe the saral off & start again, bearing in mind there are already track lines in the kin!

"the learning curve" Grrrr!
julze
Apprentice Carver
Apprentice Carver

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Hey Gus,
I knew I wanted to carve shaded pumpkins from the first time I saw one. It's part art, part science, and all fun! Like Doh said, I don't watch the tv from October 1 on. As soon as the pumpkins arrive, it's all carve time. Pattern prep starts in August.

I mostly do real 'kins, I get between 6 & 8 done each October. I do both shaded & cutouts. On November 1, the funkins go on sale 1/2 price around here, so I get 1 or 2 to carve through the winter, and to hold me until the next year. You might be able to find them online.

I don't sell carves so I don't have that additional stress. keep it fun. I will carve for family or friends who ask and brings me a pumpkin, but I never charge them for it. The joy of the carve is good enough for me.

Good luck to you this year. Happy carving!
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:40 pm

julze wrote: Like Doh said, I don't watch the tv from October 1 on.

I've only watched the new walking Dead, and those were a few days after they aired...
Can't wait to get a full nights sleep !!
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:03 am

Thanks julze, the funkin is a nigh on unknown quantity over here the past decade.
I tend to carve for my local farmer, but also a display or two for his buyers hq' s etc, no interference, carve is up to me, that way I too can really enjoy creatively without clipped wings, ..the displays keep getting bigger though & the only thing to get in the way is the natural desire / fear of failure to out-do the last, ..yes people get a lot out of us at this point of the year, wife & nipper on standby, holiday booked around the build up to a few hours of celebration in the UK. I do like to fulfil a few for things like the folks at my local garage, these are my few exceptions to the "preferred" spookily themed carves ..which I insist their dad's take credit for, kids should hero worship dads imho because the bond is weakest with the father compared to mothers imho & experience, so a little pumpkin go's a long way potentially.

When I have carved funkins for others they have all been broken by the owners, (perhaps the I.q. of the dems & webbed fingers!? ..so my remaining stock is converted, think fat, corpulent Gollum & you are there! ...or maybe not.

It's only coming here, & the anticipation thereof that stopped me flatlining, the carves at zp (some ok) were in the main too simple, so no development, kind of one size fits all with a good sawblade, with the same lines & curvature cut outs (as per site style) once a certain level of competence was achieved.

My new tools are really letting me find my feet, so I hope to fix my dremel & ruin a foamy when I feel I understand the process, then I'll be able to change attitudes towards "not real" without sounding apologetic to those who view them. It's a mind set here, they buy crap real pumpkins then are less than impressed with a pretty authentic looking foamy.

Between foamy' s real kins & trying to make a half decent attempt at emulating a basic villafane style, their ain't much time nor space in a UK residence, so my progress is slow,but who knows, it might click one of these days.

I'm hoping one day in a big London ..ha,, the veg buyers will have a "lights on" moment & realise their display holds precisely ZERO sh!tty supermarket pumpkins that they themselves deem fit to furnish the glib British buying public to carve garbage with.
werehawk
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:12 am

I can remember being a Jack o Lantern Junkie since I was about 5 years old. ( My parents tell a story of me crying when our pumpkin got smashed, at an age before I can remember.) My father was an accountant and would go to his clients homes / places of business to pick up their files. I can remember a bar owner who did very elaborate cut outs. ( Nothing like the patterns of today. ) After seeing his I was no longer happy with our Jack o Lanterns having simple triangle eyes and jagged teeth grins. I can remember buying my first Pumpkin Masters kit almost 30 years ago, just prior to college. So 5 or 6 years ago it just kind of seemed the natural progression to challenge myself after seeing pictures online of what others were doing.
My first shaded were done on foam pumpkins that wouldn't glow, with a battery powered dremel ( with a charge that lasted about 45 min max ) They took HOURS do, constantly having to recharge my one battery. No one but me could tell what they were supposed to be by the time I was finished. I would have quit doing shaded after that had I not found Stoneykins.com and the tutorials on this website.
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:01 pm

werehawk wrote: My first shaded were done on foam pumpkins that wouldn't glow, with a battery powered dremel ( with a charge that lasted about 45 min max ) They took HOURS do, constantly having to recharge my one battery. No one but me could tell what they were supposed to be by the time I was finished. I would have quit doing shaded after that had I not found Stoneykins.com and the tutorials on this website.
Now there's a testimonial for you, St0ney! :!con_p_smile:
Christie