Problem pumpkins -- ever experienced this?

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:56 am

I have 4 real pumpkins to carve this year, and I worked on two of them last night. BOTH had issues. :!con_19:

The first one, the carousel that I posted in my photo thread, had a section that the pumpkin skin just detached from the inside flesh. I have never seen that happen before. I thought at first that I had shaved the inside too deeply. But as I carved, the inside flesh was just falling off, leaving only the orange skin intact. But it was only in one section of the pumpkin, not all the way around.

So I'm not sure this pumpkin will last until Halloween even with daily soaking. As soon as those little pieces of skin shrivel, there won't be anything to hold them to the rest of the pumpkin. Thankfully it's only 1 horse out of the 3, but still, frustrating.

The other pumpkin, I don't know if it's not ripe enough or what, but the skin is near impossible to get through with my saw. And for shading, with effort I can get the orange skin off but not much of the inside flesh. I only did a small part of the pumpkin and had to stop because my hand was killing me from the effort. And this was supposed to be my "easy" pumpkin this year.

Any ideas why these are happening and if there's anything I can do about them?
Christie
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am

Here's a picture of the hard pumpkin. Looking at it again, I realize there are no ridges. The skin is perfectly smooth. Is this even a pumpkin?! Or maybe some kind of pumpkin-other squash hybrid??
20151028_085835-web.jpg
Christie
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am

Never seen that before, I carved tons of real pumpkins...

I did have pumpkins with very thick skin though, Normally the White Kins are tough.
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
2manyferrets
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:41 am

Looks like a squash hybrid to me......
St0ney

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:50 am

2manyferrets wrote:Looks like a squash hybrid to me......

Actually looks like a Potato :!con_p_smile:
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
pumpkinnut
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 am

Hay guys I have seen both of t he problems that you talked about. Not sure what you can do about the first one. Sometimes the pumpkins decompose from the inside out even without rotting.
I can tell you about the second pumpkin its called a shipping pumpkin my friend is a big time farmer and ships pumpkins all over. So it is a newer type of pumpkin that is much harder on the out side. That suck to carve. When I did some carving for him at his farm I had to take my finger nail and make sure I could cut into the skin.
So be on the look out real pumpkin carvers.
cspeich
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Interesting. Thanks pumpkinnut. What's weird is I got this pumpkin from the pumpkin patch at a local farm! Just mixed in with all the other pumpkins. I picked it because it was more vertical than the usual smaller round ones you get for the flat price. Learned my lesson!
Christie
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:13 am

Agree with the cross pollination hybrid / mongrel (whichever you wish to go with)

I carved a really awful Einstein from an old JP pattern on something akin to sawing concrete, needless to say it looked awful, but you only find that out after the cuts have started.. what do you do!? ..just persevere or if on a timed clock, move onward!
texntesa
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:31 am

St0ney wrote:
2manyferrets wrote:Looks like a squash hybrid to me......

Actually looks like a Potato :!con_p_smile:
I'm still laughing at this one...
Dogs just make the world a better place... *Sabrina*
Gretchy

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 pm

Yah, i have had the second thing happen to me a couple of times. Picked up some nice orange kins but they were rock hard. Couldn't even cut through them. I think those are some kind of gourd hybrid thing? Someone else mentioned something similar i think. And yep, like pumpkinnut said, I always make sure i can stick a fingernail through before buying pumpkins now!

Never heard of the first thing, that is so odd!!!
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'