Shaded Pumpkins

Post Questions or Tips on Carving REAL Pumpkins
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:26 am

This will be my first year shading and I've watched your tutorial Stoney on shading foam pumpkins. My question is do you still have to cut out every single grey piece? Or is there a more simple way of shading without cutting out all those grey lines in a pattern? I have a lot of your patterns with a lot of grey and black lines. I probably just have to be patient and cut with an exacto knife that's why they do take a lot of time to carve. But well worth it in the end. The shaded pumpkins I've seen on here are jaw dropping....just amazing!

Ursula
Cirrus
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 am

Doh has a really good video series on youtube that takes you step by step through carving Book of Souls Eddie (which is a truly awesome carve, BTW). I learned a lot from the video and Doh's carving technique (though I still have a long way to go).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sDI35yWuPr
Carving since 2006; mostly real 'kins
pumpken
Master Carver
Master Carver

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:19 am

Outlining each gray shape is the way to go. You have to be patient, but it is worth the result. I use a dremel with a small drill bit to do the outlining rather than an exacto knife.
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Thank you so much Cirrus & Pumpken for your awesome advice. I will definitely try both technics. :!con_p_smile:

Ursula
gorobman
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Doh's tutorial is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sDI35yWuPr

It is highly recommended since a picture is worth a thousand words -- and a video is priceless.

There are some techniques that can only be learned through observation which is why this video is so valuable. So crack open your favorite brew, heat up the popcorn, and prepare for one of the definitive shading tutorials on this planet. :!con_cool:
ursula
Supreme Carver
Supreme Carver

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Thank you Gorobman, when I get some down time I'm definitely checking it out!
2manyferrets
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 am

Definitely outline the shaded areas with an exacto, it will make it easier and cleaner looking in the long run...
St0ney
The Boss with the Hot Sauce
The Boss with the Hot Sauce

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 am

You Have to Outline if you want the carving to Look Great !
There's No if and's or Buts !

Outlining with a Dremel with a Small bit 1/32" or Smaller, Will be a Lot Faster then Hand Outlining with an X-acto. (And LESS Dangerous ) .

And I think the Carves done Both Ways come Out Amazing...

It's a Personal Choice and a Timing thing. !
I got one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel !
The Pumpkin Carving Group - Facebook Group
Doh
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Evil Scientist and Inventor
Location: Out in my workshop worshipping he-who-must-not-be-named.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 am

I 100% agree with St0ney and Ken on this....if you haven't done it you might as well use the drill bit rather than an xacto. I'm stuck in my ways but from 30 years of model making I am extremely proficient with an xacto. I've only stabbed myself a few hundred times.

It has helped me deal with pricks though :!con_p_Laugh2:
Une étreinte est une étrangler vous n'avez pas encore terminé.
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken this land."
Gretchy

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I used to xacto my shaded parts, and then I stopped and did it with the Dremel as Stoney suggested. The past couple I have carved though, I feel like they weren't as clean as I wanted them to be, mainly because of the paint on the gemmy's being crappy, so the couple I am working on now I xactoed certain parts... Where shapes came into a fine point, mostly. I found it really helped keep my lines as clean as I'd like them to be. Guess It comes down to whatever you are most comfortable with.
'Pumpkin Carvers Of The World, Unite And Take Over'