Automated Pumpkin using Raspberry Pi zero (The Pumpkin Pi)

Post Questions or Tips on Carving FOAM Pumpkins
werehawk
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:47 pm

O.K. I have learned to write (some) of the necessary code for my pumpkin pi project. Enough that I think I can make the project happen. A couple of times in the past I have split a foam pumpkin to make it easier to get at the inside. I did one of Stoney's clock patterns and put a clockwork in it. Split the pumpkin and put hinges and a closing clasp on it so I could change the battery. I did the same on my Kansas City Chiefs so I could carve from the inside to make the K.C. glow more red. So I know I could do the same to place the pi, LED's and possible speakers inside the Kin. Would anyone have any other ideas? Cut a third out instead of half? I don't think I can cut a hole big enough to fit my hand in and place the components where I want. Thanks in advance for any help.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Try conversing with @Monsonite (Ken Boak) on twitter, he's busy with a project "my storm" currently but could likely point you at people with more time to get you where you want to be, ...tip run down his follow list it's very breadboard orientated!

He's lives this stuff professionally & participates in hackathons / projects most week-ends

& I placed this topic elsewhere: did you ever see it ?

http://www.stoneykins.com/Forum/viewtop ... _p2ZuArLcc
werehawk
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks Gus! I've figured out my programming. ( Still want to tweek some. ) I was trying to ask about alternatives to Splitting the foam pumpkin to get everything inside. Guess I wasn't clear.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm

likely the lack of separation within the paragraph, ...it made it harder to focus on, ..or my head injury, I don't know.

But why do you specifically need to get the pi inside, why not simply leads of an appropriate length connecting to the pi, is nothing off-board?

blue-tooth connector & a micro speaker (remember the foam pumpkin will have a natural resonant frequency that may clash so you need to find out what that is & if it will cause any problems, a sine wave generator sweep or two would show that up, or failing that a free app!

Also take into consideration the effect of acrylic (nasty) for sound if your pi is in an atypical casing, really flat & dead tonally.
werehawk
A Happy Carver
A Happy Carver

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 am

The pi itself doesn't have to be inside. ( however I probably will put it there ) The LEDs that will be stragically placed in the carve and providing my automation do have to be placed inside. So between placing the LEDs and hiding the wiring I am thinking reaching through a hole might add frustration that can easily be avoided.

I thought about doing some sound as well, but am putting that thought on hold. ( More to learn in programming, wiring the speaker(s) and the sound deadening properties of the foam) all seem a bigger hurdle than the time I have for the project. ( at the moment ) and with the pi I can always add more before next year.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 pm

You will have v. little sound deadening problems, however due to the cellular nature of the material that could enhance the resonant frequency as per previous poet, BUT possibly actually become a sound board enhancer for sound / music, get a small speaker from a portable radio , remove the protective grille & press it against the pumpkin to see how it sounds, then repeat with pumpkin on different surfaces to understand contact, conveyance & absorbtion properties.

You might get lucky, in which case you've saved yourself a headache down the road. ..start simply though by placing yr phone inside & outside loose & against the kin wall & see what happens, likely that's all you need volume wise.

Another conveyance device is a beach ball (or smaller) for natural amplification, ...this is where I got ripped off years ago of I.p. / royalties ...try sound in one kin (dummy kin) to be the speaker amplification for the animation pumpkin.
luckdragon
The Quiet Carver
The Quiet Carver

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:36 am

another option is to buy a bunch of old laptops (like the lots they sell on ebay as parts) and strip the speakers out of those.. most laptops have decent speakers, and they are extremely small :)
We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names (like chartreuse), but they all have learned to live together in the same box.
GUS
Elite Carver
Elite Carver

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:15 am

once you experience "natural resonance" you will understand what i'm getting at, don't simply assume that laptop speakers don't follow a cushioning program to knock out certain frequencies or have gaskets added in order to negate sound transference through anything they are in contact with.

I worked with sound, had a water filled floor at one point in my firms R&D chambers, & used to deter visitors by playing white noise frequencies to the un-initiated to deter them staying (it was solitary lifestyle, & when you were busy you didn't need twats in the way).

unless you run it off board / low level I anticipate you'll be tackling resonance from a foamie, so plan to damp it in some manner regardless.

everything has a naturally resonant frequency, I used to make items "sing" not just vibrate, the flat panel transducer being a good example of that, ..honeycomb cells are good for boosting sound / music transferrence so you might get lucky, but without knowing for certain you might just promote an irritating buzz, rasp, or tinselwire type sound.